Thread: Kimino394's thread with wowtastic title

"Hi! I'm New" Member

Kimino394's thread with wowtastic title

Hey everyone. I used to do a lot of drawing, though it was all realistic. I did rather well in matric exhibition, coming above the rest of the people from the nearby school. Of course, all -I- did was portraits, while they experimented, so I sort of feel like it was a cheat-win.
    I want to draw anime or manga. Preferably manga. Always have. Now that I have nothing to do, I figure, why not start? So I have. I'm going to upload the first page below. Please note, only the Chibi's and the only really bad-looking male character are OC's, the rest are characters from anime or manga that I've tried to copy while looking at them as little as possible.
    2014-07-30 12_56_06-DRARINGS.PDF - Adobe Reader.png

I'm not sure why everything went so black there, but here's what it looks like properly.
    2014-07-30 12_56_34-30071401.PDF - Adobe Reader.png

I know it's hard to crit when the person is drawing someone elses characters instead of their own.. But if you have advice, I'm all ears.

Welcome to the forum! Looking good with those sketches, feel free to join us on Group Board sometime

"Hi! I'm New" Member
    Hi Cloudy, thanks for the warm welcome and quick reply. I recently got my hands on one of those how to draw books, specifically, "Drawing Manga, Idiots guide" from 9Studio's. I realize it would have been a better idea to get one created by someone who is actually Japanese, instead of "Mike Sanders", but I didn't actually pick this one out, it was given to me. Now I have a question (For anyone, not just Cloudy), I was wondering if it's okay to not do the exact style done in the book. I wouldn't say it's my own style, but I prefer when characters don't have these perfectly pointed chins, I like them to be rounded out a LOT more. So, should I follow as the book shows and make the chins perfectly pointy, or should I do what feels more comfortable? There are other example's, but that's the first one I noticed.

Of course it's ok, that's what creating art is all about. It's your interpretation! those books are just guides on one way to draw that certain style, there are many ways. The best way to learn of course is from practicing from real life, human study books and keeping an art journal.