Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: X-mas (Shh it's realy called Christmas)

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Giving & Receiving together make sharing.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

The gift itself isn't what you're sharing. You're sharing warm feelings, and like I said before you could be sharing your wealth, or skills, or luck at finding something cool when you give someone a present

Gift.
    n.
    1. Something that is bestowed voluntarily and without compensation.
    2. The act, right, or power of giving.
    3. A talent, endowment, aptitude, or inclination.

n
    1. a part or portion of something owned, allotted to, or contributed by a person or group
    2. (Economics, Accounting & Finance / Stock Exchange) (often plural) any of the equal parts, usually of low par value, into which the capital stock of a company is divided: ownership of shares carries the right to receive a proportion of the company's profits See also ordinary shares, preference shares
    go shares Informal to share (something) with another or others
    vb
    1. (tr; often foll by out) to divide or apportion, esp equally
    2. (when intr, often foll by in) to receive or contribute a portion of we can share the cost of the petrol six people shared in the inheritance
    3. to join with another or others in the use of (something) can I share your umbrella?
    [Old English scearu; related to Old Norse skor amount, Old High German scara crowd; see shear]

I still don't see them as synonymous.

You can't compared giving a gift to a person than sharing with them time and company in a nice dinner.

*freedictionary.com

What if they have no money for the dinner, so you pay? Is that not simultaneously giving a gift and sharing?

Yes, but that doesn't make a Gift equal to sharing. Which is my whole point.

Yes it does, you're sharing your wealth with the other person by buying them dinner.

In here gift is not a synonymous of sharing, a gift is something you do or buy to give to someone else, when someone say sharing its mean is something that person gives to everyone and that he can also enjoy with them. So for me, and how I understand, a gift is not necessarily something you share but rather something you give. You are not sharing your wealth by any mean, because you could be giving some cheap shit that maybe that person didn't want in the first place and that thing is still a gift. And if you try to give a gift that is mean to be shared with everyone and with you then that is not well received in here.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Dragon View Post
    Yeah! That's what I'm saying There are people all over the world who do the same: It's fun to get things for each other and spend time. It's a great excuse to. I have a few atheist/agnostic friends who celebrate, but they aren't Christians. It's like, when in Rome...
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Yeah! lets expand christian shit and waste of money!! yeah!

I give a shit about this celebration, I only give gift to my little cousins because they don't get gifts (and they are affected because of this and obviously I have to do something -.-).
    Not every gift is a waste of money, man. I'm getting household necessities cause I can't afford it. And I'm making my gifts, so they're not mass produced.

It's cool if you don't like to give presents, but are able to find other ways of making the holiday matter, like spending time with your family. Kudos to you! I see nothing wrong with not buying a bunch of crap. Sorry if it came out that way, because that was not my intention. I was just saying it's a good excuse to to see everyone and if you can offer up something to show you were thinking about them. It doesn't have to be a physical gift: it can be your time.

Edit:

forgot to read this page in the thread. To keep on the new topic.

I see what you're saying about a gift being a thing you give. A physical thing like, let's say a plunger. If you give that plunger as a gift, then it's not shared because only one person is getting a use out of it?

But a gift that could be shared with everyone would be like...if I bought a box of chocolates as a gift for everyone, and we all partook? And you're saying that wouldn't be well received? Is that what you're saying? (I'm just trying to understand the argument.)

Sharing food I'd think can be a gift. Because I can use my money to buy all the food for Christmas, and do all the cooking, then share that with everyone. It'd be like, my gift is for you to rest and enjoy good food, and I share in this because I also am eating the food?
    Last edited by Blue_Dragon; 12-06-2011 at 09:23 PM.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

That's my whole point of this celebration. I just care about being with others, I don't need gifts, for my stay with my cousins is enough. But they do cares about gifts (one of my cousins have asked to her mom for 2 years a Miku Doll, and still nothing, while other got a bottle of water in the previews Christmas. I don't care those things and people know it, so I don't get Christmas presents, but they do and thats why I give them gifts, most of them are done by me, and if not is something cool I bought for them).

I think it's cool you don't require gifts--because you're right about that not being what matters. And to be honest, I think most adults--not all--are like that. My friends and I don't give each other stuff very often. I mean, Nikki-chan makes aprons and such to sell, so she'll give me things like that, but all I do is pretty much buy her lunch and give her drawings. It's mostly cool to hang out since we never see each other.

I know people (adults) who are totally all about the presents, and the are d**ches (unless they're kids, or really need it.) I look at my cousin's useless husband and how his "Mommy" always has to get him everything he wants--and he's 42 year old. But he got fired from his job for not showing up and isn't even looking for another one, so he doesn't get anyone anything. Which would be fine and understandable, but he's a jerk about it. And a creeper...but that's another story.

The other cousin's boyfriend can't afford gifts, either. But he's always really nice, and polite (all year round,) so we actually enjoy giving him stuff and never expect anything back. It's weird. I guess it's your attitude that matters.

On a side note: my dad side is Catholic, so there just happens to be like 30-40 people counting kids and grandkids (probably more now.) Since we couldn't all get gifts for everyone, they'd draw names from a hat and say who you got, and then you'd just buy maybe one or two gifts for that person. Then we'd all eat pancit and rice and other good stuff. It's too bad my grandma's kinda crazy....I miss her food. But I don't miss my dad's side of the family cause they were just about all backstabbers and are really just not nice people--excepting like two or three of them (we prefer small family gatherings with the immediate family and my two cousins on Mom's side, rather than phony people who don't really care about you.)
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique