Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dunno if this belongs here, but to all of you who wanna be published in Jump

That is very true Jubeh. And yes, it is good to know the reality of things when reaching for one's goals.

Oh! I am back on to MT! Was busy with all those school projects due right before Christmas. But question! How exactly would you guys recommend putting your stuff out there? Right now I'm posting the Solstice pages on Smackjeeves and the forums here, so do you mean just put it out there somewhere, or are there specific places that would be best?

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    SmackJeeves and deviantArt. And, if you're ballsy enough to go with it, show it to people you actually know via Social Networking sites.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Post it everywhere you can where you think people would be interest. That includes DA, SJ, MT, maybe you have a blog, put it there too, and various other places.

Don't use DA it's full of furries and other perverts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Hahaha, man that's a good joke. Good thing you actually meant SJ. DA only has perverts.

I'm going to make a post on this, since this is something I've also wanted to achieve for a very long time now. It's longer than I intended, so sorry for that (and any typos) ><''

BTW I agree with something Sasaki Hisashi said, more countries should form their own unique manga culture so that more people can get their work published. I want to see this happen too, but I'm the type of person who likes to defy the odds and blaze a trail for others.

Remember, this is just my two cents. Don't be offended by anything because that was not my intention.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I first realized that it was something I wanted to do, I didn't write on a forum to get peoples opinions; it's not that I didn't want them to crush my dreams like so many others, it's just that they are themselves and I am me; "I don't let people limit me to their own capabilities and set conception of how the world is and should be." No matter how cocky you think that sounds, it's the cold truth. Every now and then someone is born that crosses the line of what's impossible and what's possible; why can't that person be you?

I'll admit I'm only 15 and I have a lot of growing up to do, but I've given this a lot of thought over the years so please don't brush me off as some, "immature-happy-go-lucky-idiot-who-doesn't-know-jack-about-how-the-real-world-works," as many others seem to do every person on the web who states they want to make a manga in Japan.

Like everyone has pretty much said, your chances of going to Japan and getting published are pretty much 0%. "But 0 is where everything starts. Nothing would ever be born if we didn't depart from there, nothing will ever be achieved-Kudo Shinichi" Sorry, just had to write that no matter how cliche or childish you think it sounds. ><

Anyway, Sylux made some very good points that cannot be ignored, if you don't know any Japanese and you don't have the patience and resolve to study and give it everything you have then you're already screwed.
    But don't be discouraged by that, Japanese is not an impossible language to learn. It's difficult in the beginning, but it get's simpler once you get the basics down. If you want to learn it which is a necessity, then apply yourself. "Things in this world don't conform to you; YOU have to change them for yourself." The internet today is an amazing thing, there are so many ways to study languages online. I've never stepped one foot into a Japanese 101 class, everything I know I learned from online and from actually communicating with natives for myself. When I first started, my Japanese friends couldn't understand jack about what I wrote to them; but now it's the little things they correct me on and I've been told by a friend who went offline for a couple of months that he was surprised that my Japanese sounded much more natural when he came back. So yeah, it's not impossible.

Phew, that only covered the Japanese part and there are still points to be made! ><

Japanese are very xenophobic and while we're at it Whites saw Blacks as inferior beings. And women were thought to be less competent than men. But look at us today, we've come a long way and tore a lot of set barriers and mindsets down, haven't we?
    You may not think those are the best comparisons for a entirely different culture and country but, people everywhere have the same ability to change as any other person.

Anyway, if the language part didn't deter you let's move on to the manga part. ^^''

Don't just sit around polishing your skills and hoping to go to Japan and get published one day. Get something published in your own country, make a name for yourself where you are. "The first step to changing the bigger "unchangeable" things in life, is to change the smaller things around you." Mangatutorials has a list of publishers you can go to, like Rio mentioned. Build a fanbase and let people know who you are and what you're trying to accomplish. I write and draw because I have a story to tell, a message to send and a world that needs to be changed.
    And make sure you improve your artwork and storytelling abilities to there utmost ability, like Rio said, "You'll be competing with native aspiring manga-ka's and considering all of the above, you're going to have it even harder." You need to have a story they simply cannot turn down.

Now about publishers like Shueisha. I've been following updates on them about accepting foreigners. I believe about three or four years ago someone posted that they had contacted Shueisha and recieved a reply saying something along the lines of, "we do not accept entries from foreigners." That crushed a lot of peoples dreams and initiated a little online bashing of Shueisha. But the most recent statement is, "Yes we do accept and review all international entries for all of our awards, but sorry guys, only in Japanese for now."
    If you follow Sasaki Hisashi on twitter, you could read some of the things he has to say on the topic. I read his interview in the January issue of Shonen Jump and I'm sure it's posted on their site somewhere.
    Shueisha is my goal, but that doesn't mean it's the only way. If you want to get published in Japan and you don't have any preference for which magazine it's in, then I'd say go Kodansha all the way. They publish some of your favorite series like Fairy tail, Air Gear, Cage of Eden, Bloody Monday, Code Breaker, Kimi no iru Machi etc...And so far they are the most accepting publisher for foreigners that I've found so far. They hold a international contest in search of manga talent around the world, so you can try that. They've stated that, "There is a growing interest among Japanese in manga created outside of Japan." So go for it!

I can elaborate a lot more on some stuff, but this is turning into the longest post I've written of a forum, ever.
    So I'm going to end it with these two things:

1. There are people out there with the same goal as you and they are trying just as hard. I haven't found many legit ones yet, but I can give you two names of people who are out there.

• Jamie Lano- She worked as a assistant for Prince of Tennis, and is currently working towards getting published in Ribbon (A Shojo magazine published by Shueisha.) She blogs about her experiences and stuff, so I'd check her out.

Felipe Smith- He was actually published with Kodansha and I believe he has four volumes of his manga now. Listen to his pep talk on youtube.

And finally don't let people discourage you; when they tell you that it's impossible I'm sure most are blunt and may seem cruel, but they mean well.
    When it's all said and done, it's ultimately up to you to decide your own way.

Remember that quote from Bakuman that I'm sure spurred all of us along a little?

"...Before I started writing manga, I was just watching the days pass by, but now every day is fun and I feel like I'm really living; so I'd rather follow my dreams now and live with the regret later, than regret never following them in the first place."- Takagi from Bakuman
    LINKS-
    will be added~
    Last edited by Chuchu; 02-16-2012 at 03:05 PM.

I'm going to say what I always say.

If your reason to work in mangas/comics is only to be published in Shonen Jump, you are misguided of the real purpose of doing those. I'm not going to point the fact that achieving this goal is almost impossible, but rather the misguided goal from a person who wants fame, recognition and by part of the only publisher he/she knows.

This concept is like become a book writer only to get one of your books made into a movie. It's a sad goal.

PD:
    Why would you want to reach Japan if you can reach the entire world?
    And yeah, wanting to be published in shonen jump is a childish goal.

Of course if you're in it just for fame, then you're already on a road to disappointment. I think everyone who draws/writes understands that.

I don't think everyone understands that, because almost every new member in MT that try to do a "manga" is just doing it to get published in Shonen Jump or in another Japanese publisher.

I think it's stupid, because if you really love doing this, you want to get reads from the biggest amount of people as possible. Ones you get published in Japan, you reduce the amount of people in a ridiculous way. Prove of this are the 2 persons you just named, no one knows them, almost no one had read their works, and probably in Japan they didn't sold good (I understand that having only 4 volumes mean the publisher drop your work because it didn't sold).

We are blunt with all the new members about this, because in one part we want them to grow up, so they can evaluate their goals and see that they have misguided reasons. That outside of Japan there is a world (literally) and it as rich as any other place. We are not trying to bash their goals because we are evil or we don't want people to achieve their dreams, but we are, because they are young and their knowledge about the world is very biased and narrowed.