Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dunno if this belongs here, but to all of you who wanna be published in Jump

Dunno if this belongs here, but to all of you who wanna be published in Jump

To all out there who want to be published in Jump, (myself included), how exactly do you hope to accomplish that? When I was a little younger, I just expected to suddenly learn Japanese and go to Japan to work for Jump, but that doesn't seem too likely anymore. How are you going to go about make money for your art? Learn Japanese, go to Japan? Start a new magazine, but in whatever country you live in? Find a less known publisher in your country and get published? Please post ideas here.

You really can't. Number one, the Japanese are generally xenophobic, and number two, their language is difficult, and cannot be mastered in quite the same way as a native speaker has so easily. Actually, now that I'm on it, number three, you aren't so attuned to their culture and society, more specifically their society. It will be hard to estimate exactly what the people want, simply because they are so different.

So find another publisher or start a new one?

Well, what country do you live in? American publishers are generally very open to other nationalities of talent.

I live in America. So you say you'd find another publisher?

Absolutely! Honestly, I don't think I'd have any hope with Shueisha, period, especially because of from whereabouts in America I came.

I agree with Sylux. I don't think it would be impossible...be really really hard. Hell, it's hard enough period for you get your submitted work publsihed stateside. I'd try smaller companies 1st were I you though....and not expect to become a superstar even if your shit's that good (which my own is not lol).

Here's one I'd try: www.antarctic-press.com

A few of my pals have published stuff with them & that's cool. I'd try myself, but I lack skill and confidence ATM. Besides, I've been doing game illustration for the past year now & the game company I work for is giving a lot of time to develop a book based on the game.

You could self-publish too. I know it sounds like a risk....but what are you in this for? Money? Okay, yes. But, I sense that you also just want to get your stuff out there too. There's all sorts of ways to promote your work before you get the approval from a major publisher.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    You really can't. Number one, the Japanese are generally xenophobic, and number two, their language is difficult, and cannot be mastered in quite the same way as a native speaker has so easily. Actually, now that I'm on it, number three, you aren't so attuned to their culture and society, more specifically their society. It will be hard to estimate exactly what the people want, simply because they are so different.
    Number 4: You'll be competing with native aspiring manga-ka's and considering all of the above, you're going to have it even harder.

Another thumbs up to Antarctic Press. They're the only indie comic publisher that really do pick up unknown artists. Not only that, they let the artist keep their IP and all rights to it unlike Tokyopop which pretty much screwed aspiring artists over. Anyways, there's a list of sites that I think you may be interested in: Resource. Check 'em out!

Yeah this comic artist Becky Cloonan whom I know personally got completely fucked over big time by TOKYOPOP. They forced her into ending it about 15 volumes too short and kept the rights to it and unsigned her. So no money for Becky Cloonan.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Also, I guess Dark Horse. Though Mark Crilley already had a bit of a following.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.