Thread: Free will. Do we really have it?

Threaded View

Free will. Do we really have it?

Okay so I was raised in a christian family but have recently been struggling with my faith and with one issue in particular.

Premise 1: I believe that pre-destination is wrong. A God that is supposedly all loving would not create people in the full knowledge that they were going to hell. What mother would have a baby when they knew that as soon as they had it the baby would be totured and killed?

Premise 2: (and the main issue) We cannot control where and to whom we are born. The one thing that will effect everything about the rest of our existance; our personality,our culture, our values our way of life, how we see our selves, the chain of cause and effect that is the rest of our lives. Thus if we cannot choose to be in a position were Christianity (or any other religion for that matter) has any bearing on our lives or that we end up having a personality that will accept or decline it is beyond our control; how is being a Christian a matter of choice? And if it is not a choice then God is a douchebag for sending people to hell just because he made them.

Any philosophers among you care to enlighten me?

Peteman
    Last edited by Peteman; 12-01-2011 at 11:08 PM.