Thread: Art Supplies!

101 Dalmations Member

Post Art Supplies!

What are some good art materials that i need to start on my comics?

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    A number 2 pencil. A clicky eraser and paper. That's all you basically need. Oh, and inking pens. Preferably in varying points.

101 Dalmations Member
    okay cool what about a ruler or t-square?

Unless you're looking to do a manga.
    A pencil and an eraser can do many many things! XD

Since you want to make comics, yes, of course you'll need a ruler. But if you just begin, a basic ruler is already enough. No need complicated (and expensive) rulers... yet. Besides, who knows you'll go digital someday (rendering almost all of your traditional equipment useless).

Here's what I use for my comics which might be helpful as for what you could use. All you really need is pencil/paper/eraser like Rio said. But the other things I use include:

Triangle Rulers: These are pretty much just triangles with measurements tacked on the sides. The ones I have are right triangles, which are simply perfect for doing panel borders and backgrounds.

Sakura Micron Pens: I actually just got these as a gift for the holidays. The set I have came with a .08, .05, .03, .02, .01, and a .005 pen. And I can say I use all of them to ink my pencil linework.

Brush: Not quite like your typical paintbrush, but an inking brush that's the preferred weapon of choice for most American comic artists. It's basically a paintbrush though, that's built for inking. Dip it in an ink bottle and let it the magic work. (If only it was this easy) I haven't been using them for very long for they're very fun to work with.

If you're going for digital stuff, I use Photoshop (version 7) for my work. While it's true that I could scrap all of my traditional equipment for Photoshop work, it's just not personally appealing to me. That, and all my tablet's good for is coloring/applying screentones. I'm no good at drawing with it, lol.

Hopefully that should give you some ideas. c: