Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Comic/Manga Discussion Thread [Literalness]

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Ok, I didn't read everything but I just want to say this:

Not all books start with action. If you want to hook a reader, you start by putting out a strong, first sentence. It could be that it results in action but that is not always the best way to present a story.

On another note; there is a graphic novel (some say picture book) I read awhile back that is all just panels and composition. No words. It actually won some accolades. Check it out if you can; it's called "The Arrival" by Shaun Tan.

I'm back, with another subject to discuss and to give a life back to this poor and sad thread.

Literalidad.

What is "literalidad"? Well I don't know the perfect translation at English. But Literalidad, it would mean something like "literalness" or "verbal". It's a term in architecture and design that point at the execution of the shape of the object as a verbal explanation of what the object does, use or how people use it.

This is a bus stop in here. This show a "literaldiad" of movement in the roof. We can see how (from our right to our left) appear a continuity of waves, until it breaks in a bigger one, in some kind of a clash or forced stop. And so it continue in a softer wave. This is "literalidad", the structure is telling you how the bus is coming, where it stop, and how it will continue; it can be true or not, probably many bus drivers don't even stop there, but doesn't mater, because the structure is telling you its purpose and is connected to it.

Now you might ask "How -literalidad- affects comic books? Isn't like we gave an use to our panels and comics", in here I say "you re wrong", we constantly use the "literalidad" in our panels, if its to show movement, actions, or even sound. It become so used that we have even being applying it on the structure of panels. Let me give some examples.

20th Century Boys, by Naoki Urasawa.

We can see a "literalidad" of movement made by the fight between light and shadow.

Akagi by Nobuyuki Fukumoto.

We can see in here a "literalidad" on the expressions provided by the background shade.

Cyborg Grandpa-G by Takeshi Obata

Third panel. "Literalidad" of shocking and fast movement.

Berserk by Kentarou Miura.

First panel. "Literalidad" of felling and rolling.

20th Century Boys, by Naoki Urasawa.

I know I already mentioned this comic, but I want to point here the "literalidad" of sound and movement.

As we can see, "literalidad" is part of comic books; we reinforce movement, emotion and actions through "literalidad". We have even gone so far that even panels have a purpose of "literalidad" (as shown in the next example).

But it's bad? it's good? how far should we go on it? The deal is that "literalidad" is a tool, that provide us to express kinetic ideas in a static medium. But it also threat readers as retarded people, we even go so far that make every each panel with some kind of "literalidad", creating noise and giving even less important to panels that really need this effect. We have been over used some methods to say "hey, in here we shot a gun" that we provide both: un-creativity and easiness to read.

So where should we go? How should we use this tool? Should we stop using it at all? And what ideas you have after this?

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Im not sure I understand this literalidad. It seems like a sort of schema drawing or symbolism ... What are you trying to get at?
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

I think the best way to put it in english would be "Literalism". It's basically the exposition of a kinetic or functional sense in the shape, this mean, that in comics (which is our subject), we expose the shape of the individuals or objects in movement in a shape or sense of the literalism of that movement (function or what we try to say without words).

My point in here is to ask everyone how do you guys embrace this concept when you work with movement, and I gave a exposition of different ways to work this, asking with this the problems that it can be created by the over use of this "effect" tool.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Literalism, as a word, doesn't really suit what you're describing, but that's not what matters. You're saying sound effects and speedlines are literalisms, yes?

I can't really think of any issues these literalisms create. Unless youve just begun reading comics, and even then, I'm not sure how you would. It's sort of a hard thing for me to picture...
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

The deal is that the word is a concept used in architecture and design, so I can't find a proper equal word in English, you just need to stick with what I give and understand the concept, rather than the word.

There are problems, first of all it can threat readers as morons. You can draw someone running, with the proper position of running. You can add this shading of movement which is the literalism of the action you are trying to represent. No mater if you did or didn't that shading, that expression of movement, the reader would have been able to understand that the character was running.

But that, is not a real issue. The problem is when we over use it, creating constant impressions of movement or emotion, creating noise and giving less value to it.

So it's action reinforced by complementing backgrounds, objects, and effects? I'm not sure I understand this either.

Reinforcing through background, objects and effects is just a way to make it. Literalidad is just a design execution, how you do it, its upon you, I just provide examples of different executions.

It's better if you ask me point by point what you don't understand.

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    I haven't read everything either but you mean over emphasizing what's happening by using dramatics like speed lines focus ponts bright lights heavy shadows etc along with text right?

From what I can decipher:

A dude sitting in a car with no background: we don't know if he's just sitting there or if he's driving. Then you add background of a road, sidewalks, lamp posts, some buildings, a few pedestrians, etc. After that, you still don't know if the car is moving. Then you edit the background so that most of it is made up of lines following the direction of the car's movement. THEN you know that the car is moving. Also of help would be some exhaust coming from the exhaust pipe(s) and moving horizontally rather than vertically (a stopped car's exhaust always just floats up). If you wanted the driver to really be booking it, then you could make him hunched over the wheel with an intense expression. Then you could add speed lines if you wanted.

So is the above example literalidad?

EDIT: Ninja'd by Psy. So, anything emphasizing the main action or focus?