Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic/Manga Discussion Thread [Literalness]

I don't know and I would like to know that to. But I trust him, not because he knows a lot, but because he studied communications and in here that career force their students to know how the brain operate with images and dialogues (I had teachers that had studied that and its pretty cool).

I see. Well it would be interesting to know if what he says is actually true or not.

I know, and its the sad part of his argument (and what I'm trying to point here), but do the exercise and tell me that you didn't work the reading in a different way.

And even if its just a hypothesis, think about it, if its true how we should have to read comics from now on?

Even if it is true, (which I don't think it is since we don't use "halves" of our brains. We use various parts for different purposes) we wouldn't change the way we read things. We've been reading left to right for too long to just suddenly change it because we might get a bit more emotional about a comic.

Lol I have mine mixed, I've read tons of left to right and right to left and sometimes when some new chapter came out I usually get confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayashida View Post
    Even if it is true, (which I don't think it is since we don't use "halves" of our brains. We use various parts for different purposes) we wouldn't change the way we read things. We've been reading left to right for too long to just suddenly change it because we might get a bit more emotional about a comic.
    First, yes we don't use our entire brain, but if you see brain lectures you can know that when a person face different stimulus, different sections of the brain start working. This "lectures" have reached to point that you can know if a person is addicted to something, it has a preference to something and even more if they are being creative (their right side of the brain become more active) or if he is doing a rational analysis (the left side of the brain become more active). Even more, did you know that Da Vinci use to write from right to left to work the right side of his brain (and this was has been proved)? There are books about using different parts of the brain for different operations, you can't say "we don't use half our brain so I don't think so", because we use certain hemispheres for different problems and stimulus, so it's not crazy to think that reading from right to left is different than reading from left to right.

If we have read for to long to left to right, then the change is bigger, we are facing something new and different, and if we use our brain differently then its a big and amazing change in the reading process.

If your opinion is true that would be great but I still need to see tangible evidence before I completely agree with you.

I know, that is the weak part of my point (still I could show you other studies about the right use of the brain, but I have nothing directly related to comics), but let's accept the hypothesis, and so face this problem of reading from left to right or right to left for this perspective.

I really don't consider this crazy, and I think it has a lot of sense, we use our left side for rational thoughts, it has been proved. And it has been proved that doing actions in a different direction (let's say write) it also affect our brain. So if the way we read comics is different depending on the direction, should we be forced to chose left to right or right to left depending on what kind of hemisphere of the brain we want our readers to use?

Again, this question can only born by accepting the previews statement, and as there is no direct prove, we have to face is as theoretical.

I think if this hypothesis became a generally well known idea, comic artists may choose to start making their comics read right to left and if the response becomes positive, more and more people may pick up on this idea. It definitely wouldn't and couldn't happen overnight. It would be a slow, gradual process. Eventually we could see comics and stories being told from right to left.

I know, and that is crazy. Because for first time we could be facing a completely new way to understand the "how we read" and how we are affected by how we read.

And I don't think is crazy because even the hemispheres of the brain are related to the hemispheres of our body. If we use the right hand we are using the right side of our brain.

That's why I love this idea so much, even if hasn't been proved by direct studies, because it make this discussion way more tasty than just ending it in "its cultural", because maybe it's not.

Let put some studies:
    http://www.anthonyhempell.com/papers/tetrad/visual.html
    http://www.giftedservices.com.au/visualthinking.html
    http://www.arty4ever.com/right/brain.htm
    http://painting.about.com/od/rightle...ight_Brain.htm