Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Tracing is Bad

(Insert a generic response here)
    You see, tracing's OK if you're a beginner. By that I mean don't trace all the time. Just trace enough so that you can get the idea of what drawing is like. After that, I'd suggest moving on to sturdier grounds - take all of your tracing skills and shatter them. Start drawing "anatomical stick figures" that'll help you with pretty much everything about a character. Move on to clothes, hair, eyes, etc. If it's backgrounds we're talkin' about, I'd suggest tracing a lot more. This is because backgrounds don't have to much of a 'formula' to them, so to speak. To draw backgrounds, you really, REALLY have to learn detail and precise placement - most of this can be picked up by looking at a picture while drawing it, something that should come after tracing. That's all. Hope it helps'n'stuff.
    I'm here. Your life just got 0.000000000001% better.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Lol, I traced just today. >.> Granted, it was my own art, so whatevssss. XD I trace the crap out of my own stuff.

But anywayyy, I agree completely with Gunz, Cloudy, and friends. But I also agree that it can be bad.

Tracing is kinda a way of studying what you already know visually. You can study for a science test by making flash cards of material you already have memorized. Sure, it won't hurt, but the only thing you're developing is quick recall of things you already know. The same goes with tracing. If all you do is trace, the only things you can draw are the same figures--albeit, you could probably draw them quickly. What good is that when other artists can draw whatever they want from imagination?

Instead of tracing you should advise your friend to draw from reference, either freehand or with a grid. That way the skills they learn can be applied to other situations instead of remaining isolated within the image. Win-win, right?

Quote Originally Posted by nextweek View Post

Edit: BTW ram that wasn't very nice D:
    Depends on the reader, Basically bacon is looking for people who can give him explanation to some friend of his.
    He made this thread not him looking for help for himself but looking for people who can aid him to help another, I was just stating something that did happen.

Although I have to admit that the word "how does that feel?" make it sound bad.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Eh, it's alright Ram. I think I can explain what I wanted to say now.

I do find the first responses quite hilarious though, as every time before this tracing has even been mentioned here, it's been horribly panned.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I've always supported tracing. Come at me, bro.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    I swear man, always flat out denied if not dead-panned.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

You're my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon_Barbarian View Post
    I swear man, always flat out denied if not dead-panned.
    It's moreso that you're stating something like this on an art forum where pretty much everyone here has gone through a phase of mimicry or tracing to get something down.

I am agreeing because its good for your own person study, not for showing off on an art site, see there is the fine line, claiming it as your own makes it bad.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy-Chan View Post
    claiming it as your own makes it bad.
    Yeps.

Instead of tracing you should advise your friend to draw from reference, either freehand or with a grid. That way the skills they learn can be applied to other situations instead of remaining isolated within the image. Win-win, right?
    This.

You will get more out of reference than you will tracing, because you are more actively taking things in. (Tracing is kinda like a do it for you, but with reference you have to try harder to get it right. I hope that came out right)