Thread: Upload with a digital camera?

Fenn

Upload with a digital camera?

I was wondering, since I don't have a scanner and will not be purchasing one soon, if it was possible to upload drawings to my computer through a digital camera. I know how, but is it worth it? And what is the best way to do so, as far as lighting and angles, distance, etc?

Yes, you can, but you need to be getting a really good camera. You need to take the picture in high lighting with no flash if you want it to look good. Then, you'll prolly have to tweak the colors/contrast/etc in Photoshop. Of course, you have to do the same with scanners, so it's really a matter of preference and how good your photography skills are.

It's fine for low cost. You don't need to have a great camera, but a phone camera isn't very useful. Just take a picture in decent light, or a flash is fine as long as your lines aren't too light, and make sure the picture is flat and have the camera directly above it. Don't worry about fitting it all in the frame, it's better to have a bit of the table or whatever you're taking the picture on showing than accidentally cutting part of the picture out of the shot. Cameras usually take pictures in high resolutions, so when you crop the background out and just have the picture, it will still be quite large.
    Any free image editing software will work fine for touch ups, such as changing contrasts or white/black levels. You don't need to do a whole lot to the picture to get a decent looking one.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    You can upload with digital camera's. As everyone else has already said just make sure you have good lighting and good editing software. From personal experience, you can definitely get clean results with photographed artwork.

if you are using windows, there's an option called "Auto Adjust" under "Fix" when you open the image. It automatically tampers with the brightness and contrast and fixes the picture. works most of the time, though it can make the image too bright sometimes. usually good for line-art.

Alternatively there are many places that you scan images. I used to go to my local publishers with a memory stick. They let me scan stuff for free. I'm sure libraries have this sort of thing.

Fenn
    Okay thanks everybody.