Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solstice.

Hybrid View

Solstice.

Started a manga. My first ever drawing in Manga Studio! I only have the demo version, but whatever. Compliments and critiques/tips plz? Here is the chapter cover. (more pages that come will be posted here through editing this post, so they will be easier to find.)

SPOILER! :

page 1 (yes, the Earth is supposed to be molten at this point in time)
    SPOILER! :

page 2
    SPOILER! :

page 3
    SPOILER! :

page 4
    SPOILER! :
    Last edited by snowb400; 11-27-2011 at 11:50 AM.

manga studio !! Me too i got one and that too a demo version. Before you start your manga, Practice more about drawing . Collect some really very important info of using this software .

Yeah, but this is also just to practice my art and find more people to collect critiques from. There was a thingy I read that said, the best way to learn about making comics is to make them. So yeah, imma start this one to practice my drawing, use of effects, backgrounds, (since I don't normally use them, but this'll force me to,) tones, panel size, amount, placement, etc.
    Edit: (and to practice my storytelling skills, which aren't good enough)

Fenn
    I strongly encourage you to follow through with this! It's a fantastic way to improve without feeling like its a chore. I advise you begin with small projects that you have a good chance of completing before moving on to bigger works.

Working on page 3 today cuz it's thanksgiving Update: done with page 3: New page!
    Last edited by snowb400; 11-24-2011 at 02:08 PM.

I have plans for making a manga involving a character that's named Solstice, so your thread really grabbed my attention. I must say though, it looks like it has potential. The story seems original, I haven't seen many mangas like it before. I'd suggest making the pages stretch out a bit though, the beginning seemed too rushed. Other than that, I'm actually interested in what you'll put out for us.
    I'm here. Your life just got 0.000000000001% better.

... There is a extremely good reason for me to make this manga's title solstice. I may or may not tell you. But if I do, it will be on the summer solstice. Also, page 4 is out. Messed up the hands.

101 Dalmations Member GAbRieLWrIgHt's Avatar
    You need to work on your head shapes, and also the folds in the clothes, because there locations are not relevant to the peoples positions. And you also need to shade, and make it possible to see the source of light, which could be done by putting shadows. You need to work on your proportions and yes, like you said, you need to put some backgrounds.

Fixed the guy's arm.

I like where you are going with this. Also that you are making a manga, and using it at practise is great, because I personally think, it's great because you can go back, and see how you have improved.
    Instead of just keep drawing only one drawing after another.. That can get boring at some times..

I have some things to say about your pages.
    First, I personally think you use too much space for each panel. I think maybe making the panels a little smaller, so there can be more panels on one page. But this is up to you. If you like it the way your are doing it, then do it that way. This is only my opinion.

Also at page 1, you should take the circle tool in manga studio (can't remember if there is any.. but..) and draw the planets with that. I know planets are not totally round, but their are not that much uneven either.
    And add some background. That goes for pretty much every panel. Not that there has to be any background on every single panel, but a little more background so you know where your characters are.
    For example: The panels with the planets need some background. You need to fill the background with black, and add some stars. The universe is not white. Or maybe it is.? Maybe you have decided that the universe in your manga is all white.

And on page 4 I also miss a background.. Just to show, where are our characters. Right now they could be anywhere.. The city streets, in an apartment, the bottom of the sea, or maybe in a secret cave or something. We have no idea where they are. We need to know that.

As GabrielWright also said, you need to work on clothes, and folds. I know it's hard to get right. I am not good at it either.. lol..
    Also you need to work on your proportions. For example on page 4, the guy on the right, his head is too small in relation to his body.

Otherwise, great job. Keep it up