Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Race Education and Why it Fails

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I'm unsure of the correct term, but "middle Eastern," perhaps?

Yeah, that might be good, but if they are from Africa it would be wrong.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shaggie View Post
    Whoa! Ease up there GunZet! I hope the tone of my last post didn't imply that you were ignorant at all. The only ignorant person here is that Sylux cat in my book. No, the rest of what I said still stands but wasn't directed at you dude. I too a'm black & schooled in the 80s & 90s. Not only was Black=Africa crammed down my throat, but my Dad's 'black nationalism too'.

Like you, I explored the parameters of my ancestry & discovered that we're all didn't originate from Africa, & that opened so many door for me. But until I did go down that road, I was as oblivious as anyone else to the truth.

That's the ignorance I'm speaking of & if more folks (of any group) would be open to understanding their own ancestry & others as well shit would be really great in my book.

No dude I wasn't trying to blast you with my cynical point of view. I wish more people would wake the fuck up, stop being sheep & figure out shit they want to know for themselves is all.
    I know exactly what you were getting at, it's all good. But like I mentioned in my last little bit "It's not as strong of an ignorance as you'd like it to be.". We're all ignorant with something when it comes to racial identification, nobody knows everything. And just because Sy doesn't think that a certain people are capable of having a certain name, doesn't make him that uber ignorant person you make him out to be. He could have easily said "yea, a white person will NEVER have this name," but I didn't see that anywhere. Sure it was ignorant to a degree, but there was no need for an outright attack. So in his defense, go after the ones who deserve it, being the blatant, and blind racists of any group, and the ones who keep that mindset alive by teaching it.

Thought I'd toss that out there, haha.

In Sylux case, he is not ignorant (well he is, but is not a crime), reckless and with poor analysis yes. It's ok to create this assumptions if you have 10 years old, but ones you are growing and you realize this propositions are wrong (and have problems), you start doing better and clever propositions. In this case, he did a proposition of a 10 years old kid without thinking in what was wrong with it.

In social sciences you have to think, most of the time, that everything is possible. Social behaviors are very unpredictables (even if you can do a prediction that its very obvious, it will never give you a 100% of success).

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by corastaur View Post
    Theres this really cool effect that gives me a little hope in the future of race education. I'm volunteering in a lab that is working on an experiment testing something similar to this, but basically people were shown members of multiple multiracial groups. They were then told that they would be assigned to one of these groups and that later they would work on some memory task with them. The cool thing was that when they were asked to evaluate the members of the different groups, people showed ingroup bias (they favored members of their own group) regardless of racial statuses. Basically they dropped any of their pre-existing racial biases because they were in a group with these people.

I thought this was pretty cool, I dont know what do you think? Does it apply?
    I'm glad this is true; I thought I'd heard of it before. It is a strong support for using co-operative activities and tasks to break racist mentalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shaggie View Post
    lol @ Sylux:

I transposed those names on purpose & all anyone could think about was that they've never heard of white guy named Tyrone or a black dude named Johann. Except CF. See, this is the shit that get's things all fucked up and warped out of perspective. Why in hell would a white guy named Tyrone be the only thing that you wanted to reply about from my post dude? I mean, even if you didn't agree with what I posted, is that all you have to say is: "I don't know any white guys named Tyrone?" I wouldn't call that racist, but it sure makes you (& just you) pretty fucking stupid for the comment alone.

You just became a prime example of why people are in dire need of race education & why it fails so miserably. People want to be racist on some level. It makes them feel better about themselves on some pathetic level to down play another person's race, heritage or nationality & this dick head just proved it.

Or maybe you just like acting ignorant, is that it?
    Ohp, brotha bear called it, I'm really fucking stupid. It's not like I don't want to sound racist by commenting on racial differences, it's that I'm stupid. It's not like I see that blacks have a leg up socially in Virginia and the North, it's that I'm really fucking stupid. It's not that I can see that a black person can call a white man a cracker and then take his scholarship up just because he's black but a white man can't utter the word nigger without being Jewish as well (which, by the way is another social leg-up: nobody except for arrogant children pretend that being Jewish doesn't mean anything - which they're really right, but they aren't recognizing how it is in mature society), it's that I'm really fucking stupid.

Because cracker is just as bad an insult as nigger. An invented swearword against a dominant group versus "a word with a terrible history of being used to abuse, oppress, and subdue". Is it even possible to insult white men?

Btw affirmative action is not discrimination. Well, it is, but it's better than the alternative, innit?
    Last edited by Delphinus; 11-17-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
    Because cracker is just as bad an insult as nigger. An invented swearword against a dominant group versus "a word with a terrible history of being used to abuse, oppress, and subdue". Is it even possible to insult white men?

Btw affirmative action is not discrimination. Well, it is, but it's better than the alternative, innit?
    For me neither of those are insults.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post

Um, no? Affirmative action is discrimination: a rich black boy from a successful black family will surely win a scholarship over a middle class white boy with great fucking grades.

A rich boy from a successful family is the key part there.