Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Race Education and Why it Fails

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there is quite the African population in Europe. I'm sure black Johanns exist too. :|

ALSO. Greatest website in the universe:
    http://arewhitepeopleraciallyoppressed.com/

Ok that was absolutely hilarious! That is now one of my top favorite websites! And yeah there probably is a black Johann somewhere in the world...

Theres this really cool effect that gives me a little hope in the future of race education. I'm volunteering in a lab that is working on an experiment testing something similar to this, but basically people were shown members of multiple multiracial groups. They were then told that they would be assigned to one of these groups and that later they would work on some memory task with them. The cool thing was that when they were asked to evaluate the members of the different groups, people showed ingroup bias (they favored members of their own group) regardless of racial statuses. Basically they dropped any of their pre-existing racial biases because they were in a group with these people.

I thought this was pretty cool, I dont know what do you think? Does it apply?

lol @ Sylux:

I transposed those names on purpose & all anyone could think about was that they've never heard of white guy named Tyrone or a black dude named Johann. Except CF. See, this is the shit that get's things all fucked up and warped out of perspective. Why in hell would a white guy named Tyrone be the only thing that you wanted to reply about from my post dude? I mean, even if you didn't agree with what I posted, is that all you have to say is: "I don't know any white guys named Tyrone?" I wouldn't call that racist, but it sure makes you (& just you) pretty fucking stupid for the comment alone.

You just became a prime example of why people are in dire need of race education & why it fails so miserably. People want to be racist on some level. It makes them feel better about themselves on some pathetic level to down play another person's race, heritage or nationality & this dick head just proved it.

Or maybe you just like acting ignorant, is that it?

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    For the longest time, before I knew the world. I didn't think British, or European black people existed... Until I saw Harry Potter some years ago, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    For the longest time, before I knew the world. I didn't think British, or European black people existed... Until I saw Harry Potter some years ago, lol.
    lol What did you think? Black people were only brought from Africa to the Americas? Seriously? I think things like this happen because (like corastaur was mentioning in that experiment) most racial, ethnic & cultural groups tend to stay together. Only when an individual that's from one group finds themselves in a situation where they are either the minority or, one among a multitude of representatives of different groups do they then start trying to learn about or understand these different groups. I won't say that this is the only time, but usually seems fair. That's why people aren't aware of the history of a certain race or ethnic group's population making up a part of the nationality that's comprised mostly of another race.

This is the stuff Cypress Dhalia's trying to get folks thinking about. This is racial miseducation. I don't fault anybody for it, but if we would at least try to change our thought processes on these issues, people would have a better understanding (& respect) for one another.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shaggie View Post
    lol What did you think? Black people were only brought from Africa to the Americas? Seriously?
    That's exactly what I thought. From the ages 0 to 12.
    Reason I posted that is I just wanted to see if you'd consider age as a factor. Nope. I'm also black if you didn't know, and that's what we were taught back in the 90's; black people came from Africa. It was shoved down our throats, even getting higher up in the grades, it was always Africa=black, so I never knew until I started exploring on my own. It's not as strong of an ignorance as you'd like it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    That's exactly what I thought. From the ages 0 to 12.
    Reason I posted that is I just wanted to see if you'd consider age as a factor. Nope. I'm also black if you didn't know, and that's what we were taught back in the 90's; black people came from Africa. It was shoved down our throats, even getting higher up in the grades, it was always Africa=black, so I never knew until I started exploring on my own. It's not as strong of an ignorance as you'd like it to be.
    No one born knowing. At the age of 2 to 9 I though elfs were real and dinosaurs live in my backyard, and I neither knew who was hitler or anything.

You can be black and be uneducated about racial subjects. LOL.

Funny thing, Africa also have muslims and others. But yeah there is a misconception that in Africa only black people lives (when there are white people, mostly from french and british colonies).

Whoa! Ease up there GunZet! I hope the tone of my last post didn't imply that you were ignorant at all. The only ignorant person here is that Sylux cat in my book. No, the rest of what I said still stands but wasn't directed at you dude. I too a'm black & schooled in the 80s & 90s. Not only was Black=Africa crammed down my throat, but my Dad's 'black nationalism too'.

Like you, I explored the parameters of my ancestry & discovered that we're all didn't originate from Africa, & that opened so many door for me. But until I did go down that road, I was as oblivious as anyone else to the truth.

That's the ignorance I'm speaking of & if more folks (of any group) would be open to understanding their own ancestry & others as well shit would be really great in my book.

No dude I wasn't trying to blast you with my cynical point of view. I wish more people would wake the fuck up, stop being sheep & figure out shit they want to know for themselves is all.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Also interesting, Clock: Most Arab-Americans are not Muslim; they are Christian.
    Most muslims in the US, in fact, are black. So the mainstream, bigoted, stereotypical idea of a terrorist is completely skewed, and claims of "racial profiling for safety" are absolutely invalid.

I have no idea how to say muslim without religion in english. So lol.

Most Koreans in here are christians. Race is not related to fate any more. Everything is thanks to the internet (well the globalization, but the internet helps a lot).