Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Race Education and Why it Fails

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Asians are over-represented in terms of college admissions. Harvard actually admitted to capping its admission rate of Asian American students in attempt to preserve "diversity". What do we call that?

I wouldn't call it racism, obviously, as it has nothing distinctly to do with the fact that they're Asian American. Theoretically, the same thing would happen to any race which exhibited the same behaviors. It's like a negative-edge of racism. Inverse racism, I guess? Considering the effect comes not from racism, but from treasuring diversity too much.
    That is racism. The problem with the policy is it promotes diversity of skin tone and nationality over diversity of thought and of talents.

I would have no problem if Harvard, say, capped the number of Math-focused students because they are a liberal arts college and you want kids who excel in a variety of subjects. But capping based on heritage or ethinicity is counter-productive and illogical.

I'm glad at least someone around can translate my viking-speak into proper English with manners and all that junk

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Yes, but you can't help but feel it's not so much racism as it is a coincidence. Like I said, theoretically that could be any race. It just happens to be that one race that consistently fits that student profile.

What the hell is a student profile, he isn't even a student because they won't let him in!

Why are they taking race into consideration? Why does it matter?

Because they're just a bunch of big, stupid jellyfish!

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    To be honest, it doesn't. Diversity is a coincidence and trying to preserve diversity is silly. But I'm just saying that is not necessarily the effect of racism but rather the effect of over emphasis on diversity.

Emphasis on trying to create some kind of horrible balance of different races and ethnicities is just racism, we can't use anything more than simple language here because it's a blatantly obvious crime.

I'm not saying I'm for or against affirmative action, because in my experience, I don't believe it's stopped me from getting a job (everyone's having trouble right now, so I'm not bitching.) I do think, if they really want to give a leg up to minorities, then our government should actually work harder on improving our education systems and schools (especially in poor areas.)

I'm not saying all minorities are poor, but those who are living in a ghetto (which the very name implies poverty in today's language) are often times going to run down schools that don't have proper funding. As a result, their schools can't afford special programs or sometimes even updated text books (my books in 6th grade said "someday man will land on the moon," and I was just going to school in a small town.) A student in a middle to upper class school is going to get more special programs that motivate them to learn and enjoy education more than a student going to a school which cannot afford to provide these programs. Middle to upper class students tend to have a lower drop-out rate than a student going to a poor school, which is where the whole problem begins with even needing affirmative action: students going to the poorer schools, who more often than not tend to be minorities, don't have as fair of a chance from the get go as a student going to a school with more funds.

*A caveat*
    This is true for anyone who's poor, not just minorities. So improving education in these poorer schools is going to help people of varying ethnicity, not just "blacks" or "latinos" or however one is going to stereotype the poor. It's just a good idea to help our kids have a better chance at finding a decent job. And I realize there are plenty of "white" students who fall into the same rut in crappy schools. My school was crappy, too (though, even so, it was in far better condition than many of the schools in Springfield. And the tornado wiping out the grade school helped a lot with rebuilding the system. We're actually getting a bit of "diversity" in what was once a very racist, near sundown town. That's a side note.)

But as for Springfield, IL, I have noticed that the middle class students tend to go to the better school and are more likely to find a good/decent career, than those going to the schools in poorer areas (like South East High) often drop out, or don't have a chance to go on to college.

Edit: sorry if my sentence structure is a bit tedious. I'm going on like 3 hours of sleep and probably make no sense. I know I'm wordy, and I need to try to cut back on that. Also, I want to say, I'm not trying to stereotype, so if I am, that was not intentional.
    Last edited by Blue_Dragon; 11-17-2011 at 10:02 PM.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    To be honest, it doesn't. Diversity is a coincidence and trying to preserve diversity is silly. But I'm just saying that is not necessarily the effect of racism but rather the effect of over emphasis on diversity.
    They are discriminating on the basis of ethnicity. AKA racist, or prejudice, or whatever the technical term is. Even if it doesn't have to do with a specific race, as you explained the "coincidence," it's still using the superficial attribute of ethnicity to make the decision.