Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Race Education and Why it Fails

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar

Race Education and Why it Fails

You ever heard those really corny sayings like "we're all one race", or "we're all technically brown" or "We're all God's children"? Whenever I hear these things, I just go "bullshit" because I think anyone with half a brain can look at someone of a different race and go "hmm...there are some differences here."

The idea that we're all the same is a total crock and a horrible way to teach people to learn to accept others. Acceptance through denial is just the worst possible thing because no true understanding comes from that. Surely, it becomes easy to accept someone if you pretend that they're just like you. But ultimately, you end up accepting nobody but yourself, or at least, the self-projection of yourself onto others. So when someone comes up to you acting differently, or thinking differently or looking differently than you do, you still have no idea how to react and cope with the situation. Why? Because, in truth, you have not developed any measure of tolerance or acceptance, simply willful ignorance of the facts.

And this applies not just to race, but to sex, age, and sexual orientation. People are living in this fairy-tale world where they pretend everyone is the same and, while this may be an easy way to lie your personal convictions away, it is not a healthy train of thought. We may feel like it's effective, but in truth it's just shoving prejudice deeper into the closet. If anything, discrimination is stronger than ever because, instead of being openly voiced, it is silently taking reign in our institutions. This is the greatest possible threat to general equity as we don't really know where and how it's happening, how to confront it and how to re-educate the people responsible for it.

So, in short, instead of pretending our issues away, let's find a way to embrace the differences of others. If not, at least understand that you have an issue with them and need to learn to either cope or expound on why you can't.

Opinions?

I think what they're doing is oversimplifying what they really mean. It's not that we're all the same, it's more that we're all share the right to be treated in a manner where one person isn't treated better than another due to race/gender/etc. I mean, anyone could tell you no two person is the "same" but just because I have white skin doesn't mean I should be treated better than someone with darker pigmentation cause that doesn't mean anything. It's just superficial. It'd be like if someone treated me worse cause I have brown hair.

At the same time, I can see where in some cases, like "age" discrimination, you'd really have to discriminate. It may not be entirely because of their age, but rather their physical capabilities. I mean, if you're 100 and barely crippling around, and you apply for a fireman's position...are you really qualified for the job? Same thing for women who are not physically strong enough for the job: some skinny little girl is not going to be able to pull me out of a fire. It's that simple.

But, if the girl was some buff chick, and could bench press 150 lbs or more. Well, have at it. She should have the same chance at something as a guy who can do the same thing.

But yeah, I agree, we'd all be really boring if we were the same, and we shouldn't have to be brain washed into treating each other decent by saying "we're all the same" when we are all different.

You ever read "The Giver?" I hated reading it, but it makes the same point you're making.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I don't like to look at everyone as 'the same,' cause that definitely isn't true. But equal, until proven otherwise.

Yeah, that's how I feel. You're far more concise with words than I am.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Exactly. Equal opportunity is the ultimate objective of our society, but to pretend we're all equal makes it difficult to cope with the truth of our differences.

And yes, BD, I agree about the firefighter thing. See, that is observing a general difference between men and women and properly putting it in context to create a logical argument. In other words, that's exactly what needs to be done to address most of society's discrimination issues. Also, we need to get over this fear of making observations. A large part of getting over our various 'isms' is to learn the difference between plain-sight observation and discrimination, which a lot of people still can't do. So under the impression that citing differences is somehow discriminatory, people refuse to do it and a lot of issues go unaddressed.

What exactly are you talking about?
    Telling somebody who is not physically or mentally able to do a job they cannot have the job is a different thing to telling a black guy that he cannot work in a cinema because he will probably just talk to all his drug dealing homies throughout because he is black and that is what black people do.
    I've always understood the whole we are equal thing as "We are all Human, don't be a dick to a person because they are a Woman/gay/Canadian/poor."

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    We all have equal potential. And that's all that really matters. Also, generally people mean the same on the inside/mentally/biologically ... Or maybe they don't. I always thought that's what was meant.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdooperphailmachine View Post
    Canadian
    wtf dont you be talkin shit, honky

Anyone who bags milk and eats poutine deserves shit talk

The Canadian race is clearly superior to the English race