Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Western Fascinations with Asian Cultures

101 Dalmations Member The_shaman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    Fetishization of the Other. The East Asian cultures are Other in the West but, unlike the Near East cultures, we are not busy bombing them into the stone age so it's chic to like them.
    Asian women...*drowls* Why must they have such power over me?

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Because they're so adorable and cute? ;D

I agree. Everyone is interested in what is new or different. Like evey year there was a day of Asian Culture in may university. Where people form Japan(mainly) and China was coming to promote their language and traditions. There is no way you are not going to be interested in something so different.

But there are also people from East interested in Werstern cultures. Like every year people I know get invited in Japan and China to promote the traditions we have in South Eastern Europe.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LVUER View Post
    But I don't think there are many Easterners that fascinated by Western cultures... or am I wrong?
    Go to big cities in Japan or Korea. Do they seem Western? If they dont, you have a problem.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Koreans mostly have a big western influence.

Their movies, music, and a lot of other stuffs they do have a lot of western influence.

The deal (I believe) is that in history, western societies had much better relationship with Korea (south) than japan or chine. USA play a major roll in the conflict of North Korean and South Korea, while between Chine and Japan the relation wasn't good (it was never good). Also in that time a lot of western countries gave to south korean people a place to stay.

I think the relation ship between Eastern>Western is more about history than what is chic (of course in the case of Western>Eastern is about that).

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Korea doesn't quite count because they have a very sordid cultural history. For pretty much the entirety of their history they were some other nation's bitch, so their cultural identity is obviously going to carry a lot of baggage from external influences.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

I know, but I didn't want to call some of my friends bitches. And yeah, the history of korea has always being about work as the bitches of others and is not until the end of the ocupation by Japan that it got divided and of course USA appear in the South Korea and gave "a hand" to them, but of course the political and cultural repercutions are obvious.

Even so, the history still mark a strong point.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    I think the relation ship between Eastern>Western is more about history than what is chic (of course in the case of Western>Eastern is about that).
    Probably, but I saw a large group of kids dressed "Gangsta'" while I was in Japan.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Guys, I'm actually Japanese. I have a Naruto headband and everything like a real Japanese person.
    i wake up every morning and brush my teeth with rainbows after i piss excellence and wash my face with glory

I knew it!