Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Western Fascinations with Asian Cultures

Fenn

Western Fascinations with Asian Cultures

I enjoy learning about Asian cultures, although I've never taken any classes or visited. There is something about the culture, traditions, and especially the feelings evoked by the art of these Eastern nations that draws me. But why? Why are so many people attracted to both Asian aethetics and ideas, both historic and modern?

If anyone has formal study or experience in this topic your response would be much appreciated!

why should we know why you think its cool

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Fetishization of the Other. The East Asian cultures are Other in the West but, unlike the Near East cultures, we are not busy bombing them into the stone age so it's chic to like them.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Mostly, the initial fascination is of the exotic; different culture, fashion, beliefs, and so on. From there, you just gravitate towards the things that you like and further delve yourself into their way to life.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Cake View Post
    why should we know why you think its cool
    I wasn't just referring to me, though I worded it that way. It was more why are Westerners in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    Fetishization of the Other. The East Asian cultures are Other in the West but, unlike the Near East cultures, we are not busy bombing them into the stone age so it's chic to like them.
    Google was invented so the general populace can understand people like you

So many people take this interest because it is fashionable to like things that are different?

Quote Originally Posted by rio View Post
    Mostly, the initial fascination is of the exotic; different culture, fashion, beliefs, and so on. From there, you just gravitate towards the things that you like and further delve yourself into their way to life.
    This sounds like a very accurate idea. Makes sense.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Partly that. The fetishization of the Other is a bit harder to explain than that. But in a nutshell, yes. It has always been chic, to an extent, to have a fascination with bowdlerized versions of other cultures. Weaboos are an extreme example, but you see forms of it even in the mainstream - look at garbage like Eat, Love, Pray, for example. Or the brief Yoga fad.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

But I don't think there are many Easterners that fascinated by Western cultures... or am I wrong?

there was a time when they were, not strictly East, i'm talking about South Asia

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LVUER View Post
    But I don't think there are many Easterners that fascinated by Western cultures... or am I wrong?
    I think there are those in the East who are fascinated with the West. I mean, there's like so many influences from Hollywood, music, food, and so on.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    Partly that. The fetishization of the Other is a bit harder to explain than that. But in a nutshell, yes. It has always been chic, to an extent, to have a fascination with bowdlerized versions of other cultures. Weaboos are an extreme example, but you see forms of it even in the mainstream - look at garbage like Eat, Love, Pray, for example. Or the brief Yoga fad.
    Bowdlerized means to remove or omit unpleasant parts, if I looked this up right?

I don't think this is always the case, of course. But some people certainly do. I, however, could care less about what others are into. I was trying to figure out what elements of Eastern cultures causes some of us to be drawn? Traditional music from some Asian cultures (I apologize for my ignorance in not knowing specific genres or instruments), for example, has always been relaxing and enchanting to me.