Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eternal Life

Eternal Life

Actually I'm just looking for Ideas for my manga with my character who has Eternal life and I'm having trouble to portray it's pernality very much right now.

But I guess this might be a good topic to start of a debate or something.

What theory can you make if someone were to gain Eternal Life? Whether wealthy or not.

Do you think he will be bored so much that he wants to die?

Or do you think he will just enjoy life cause there's so much you can do in the world?

He will never grow tired, for there is so much to be discovered and experienced. Even after he has done all, which would take hundreds of years, I'm sure he'd want to revisit at least something.

I though one time in making a vampires story (not sparkly vampires), and my idea was basically that: Blood (probably Oxygen in blood) feeding helps the cellular regeneration (mitocondrial enhancement?) but its unable to retain old information (neurones and memory is constantly deleted and re-learned), so every information the vampire doesn't use (by example a language) is forgotten; reason why characters chose between living in the past (keeping objects as mementos of their life) or they forget and just live through a carpe diem.

As a effect of their constant memory lost, the characters can become very anti socials or very attached to people or objects. Well it was about "vampires", but they didn't have problems with the sun and neither were hyper strong, they just have a constant cell regeneration (I don't know how this could work with cancer and other cellular disease).

Most of the time I see immortals portrayed as somewhat greedy, self absorbed characters and therefore they use their eternal life to be hedonistic, basically just satisfying all their desires and urges how ever they want.
    I've always wondered what it would be like to tell a story with an immortal character who was transformed that way for the greater good, ie what if a famous and brilliant scientist like Einstein had been made immortal, would they have made more brilliant discoveries? Doctor who is somewhat this type of character, but since he was never human there is not as much psychological drama I guess.
    I also like the idea of the transformation into an immortal being transforming that person's nature some how. I've seen it done with vampires, who are said to become cruel and vicious when transformed (in a lot of modern day vampire stories). Would it be possible to play out this transformation some other way? Would the being incredibly loving towards humans, or maybe scornful towards humans and protectors of the environment?

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Like clock said cells would have to be replaced constantly. UNLESS time has stopped for the person. If not they will still age and be subject to all matter of disease and aging. You are good as dead if your body just sits there even if the lights are on inside. You could add finding a way to aquire eternal youth to the story line. I do like the idea of some one with eternal life not being able to keep their memories forever because it seems more real that way.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    Unless you're Zeus, having eternal life would pretty much suck. Especially if you decide to kill some people and get two life sentences..bummer.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    That'd actually be very interesting ... What on earth would they be like when they escape?
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

I read a short story online once about an immortal man, and it described his utter boredom as the whole planet died and eventually became a star. It was pretty cool

I wrote this ages ago while thinking about the subject.

SPOILER! :

It would be nice to have the time to do anything I wanted to. That’s the positive.

Here is the reality.

Life basically amounts to paying bills and trying to impress women — assuming you are a man. I can’t speak for women since I am not one, but it can’t be all that different. So I have to ask myself if that is something I want to do for an eternity. In life I keep working because maybe one day I’ll become rich and have all the time and money to do all the fantastic stuff I want to do. I can quit my shitty day job and travel the world, and never have to eat ramen again.

But really what’s going to happen is I’m going to work shit job after shit job until I have a heart attack because the only food I could afford came off of a dollar menu.

Found another positive. If I were immortal I could eat all the shitty food I wanted.

Though living the immortal life could be interesting assuming I didn’t give a shit about secrecy at all. I could offer my body up for experimentation and try to make a living that way. Perhaps I could do jobs nobody else could do because they were life threatening. Its possible just revealing I was immortal would make me famous on its own.

Who knows.

Super Senior Member Celestial-Fox's Avatar
    Have you read on transhumanism? You really should if you're interested in scientific immortality.