Page 122 of 278 FirstFirst ... 2272112118119120121122123124125126132172222 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 2774

Thread: Random Video Game Talk

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I also think you can even make a horror/survival game action-oriented just from design choices alone.

When you have a lack of threats, and an abundance of stuff that is meant to keep threats away (weapons and other shit), you're just going with the motions because it's so common, and there' not much to use it on. And if there were too many threats, it would also go down the path of action-oriented, because the horror/survival elements wouldn't be used sparingly. It's like if you got a dead body dropping from a vent every other hallway.

I'd say Dead Island could have been a pretty good horror game if the atmosphere wasn't so ... everyday normal. Like if I just walked outside on a sunny day and found zombies. But that's unique to it, and no biggie.
    Anyway.

It's really just about a good balance and atmosphere, or just a general lack of player-friendly items. Like Amnesia; the lack of your most helpful element (light) in the game can save your life, lol.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Well, splatter films were a mix between action and horror (in a wide sense of action). I guess you can do a horror game with action, but it wouldn't probably become survivable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell_Baron View Post
    Dead Space
    When me and a freind sat down to burn through this as quickly as possible, I shamefully admit that we mostly just ended up screwing around with the silly sawblade weapons, trying to glitch-explode the enemies with closing doors, and me disturbing him by commenting on how hilariously cute the little rolly-polly fleshy starfish things were.

So yeah. They have been saying that the new game is going to be "multiplayer focused", and I can see it working in a grizzly-fun way, but not for 'horror' reasons. Really, the minute multiplayer is even hinted at, the horror aspect (never mind 'survival' aspect) goes right out the window IMO.

just finished playing through all five episodes of "the walking dead". personally, i'm not a huge fan of "interactive movie" games, but i really loved to see that my choices actually mattered and the way the characters reacted to every decision was awesome. and when the story is actually this good you get involved in the game. seriously, it's really rare for games to make you actually feel so emotional...
    "We donít stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.Ē

Finally beat Vanquish last night after taking my sweet time with it. Everything was perfectu.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

Quote Originally Posted by BiGnoize View Post
    i'm not a huge fan of "interactive movie" games
    Right so that's not an interactive movie game. That would be like fmv games. Like pretty much everything on the sega cd. There's this neat one you should try called plumbers dont wear ties.

What you were playing was a point and click adventure game. It may seem like I'm being pedantic here but there is a massive gap in the potential quality of games in each genre and calling anything resembling monkey island an "interactive movie" is actually pretty silly to me.

Oh also another interactive movie -- The Uncharted series. Needless slam.

<My comic

Seems like everyone has extra Dota 2 keys laying around except me. Where do you guys get these things? I'm trying to get one to my brother, but the official blog takes forever to send them out.

Whats your brother's email. I'll send him one.