Page 232 of 277 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 2766

Thread: Random Video Game Talk

So she is still going to have her stray cat move

Guys, Starbound is pretty great and I don't even know how to explain it. I didn't like Terraria much, and I got bored of Minecraft quickly, but something about Starbound keeps me playing despite it being essentially sci-fi Terraria.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    It's new, and shiny.
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

So was Rust, and I hated that.

DONT YOU LIE TO ME. DONT YOU DARE LIE TO ME!
    <My comic
    .................................................. ......................."Mind-controlling you into thinking this is awesome."

idk about starbound I thought terraria was balls boring

still interested for some reason tho

I've always thought Terraria looked extremely boring, so I never tried.
    Last edited by Taragon; 12-27-2013 at 03:04 PM.

I hated Terraria for a long time before I finally got into it. Turns out it's actually really addicting if you can break yourself past the boring initial stages of having a fresh character.
    <My comic

Matt can you articulate why starbound is interesting to you where terraria is not

I think so. I suppose it has something to do with the exploration in Starbound being more rewarding than in either Terraria or even Minecraft. If you build a bunch of cool stuff, eventually you'll build a thing that summons a boss, and you can do it without a wiki of any sort. Once you kill the boss, you can move on to whole new planets with better ore sources and diamonds much closer to the surface. The monsters you kill give you more money, but in return are harder to kill. As you progress, your ability to explore other planets increases -- so that snow planet you instantly beamed off because you nearly died from the cold is now completely accessible, and that planet with a bunch of monsters around the spawn is child's play now.

I guess part of it is that there's always something new to build or explore. You're never stuck with the same aesthetic, the same weapons, the same anything. You can max out your starting equipment, only to learn there's better stuff out there again and again. There's a sense of progress because you can go back to lower-tier planets and completely wipe out the monsters that gave you trouble before.

But one of my problems with Terraria was its beginning. It plopped me in a world and essentially said, "Have fun." I chopped down a tree, got bored, and quit in favor of Counter-Strike.

An actual objective really helped Starbound in the beginning. The game told me, "Earth's out of resources, so you need to start fresh. Unfortunately, your ship's out of gas. Beam down and build a distress beacon." So I beamed down and, with that goal in mind, started building a base and collecting resources, and it was fun.

In summary: a clear, challenging, yet achievable objective helps alleviate slow introduction most Minecraft-style games (and for that matter, MMOs) have, and you're always rewarded for going out of your comfort zone. There are infinite planets to explore, and each planet holds a unique experience. Best part is, you don't have to restart the game to essentially get a different world seed. You can just collect some coal, beam up to your ship, and book it somewhere else.

I still don't quite feel like I've done the game justice.