Page 149 of 275 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159199249 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 2742

Thread: Random Video Game Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    Do you start with much stuff?
    You have your family members, a vault, and 2000 bucks to spend on defense. A wooden wall is 10 bucks, but a power source is 200. Dogs are 200. Basically you start out pretty weak because you need an incentive to rob people.

Are the rules unfair if you just try to sit and defend?
    You cannot actually be in your house while its being robbed, and an occupied house can't be invaded. There are instances where a triggered trap will stay on and thus a house becomes "unrobbable" but if the owner wants to make any changes at all they'll have to reset it. So if you find a seemingly impenetrable house, it means that person is probably afk or has stopped playing.

You actually have to prove your house is 'fair' by robbing it yourself without the use of tools. This means you can't just bury your vault behind 100 concrete walls. This leads to houses being more maze like with a lot of decoy doors leading to traps and stuff, as opposed to you drilling through wall after wall in search of a vault.

Are there even many people playing it yet? How good or crappy are the ones that do?...
    The server browser always has dudes to invade, though nobody has very much money. I'm not sure how the game will even out economically, but I've found some houses to be rougelike dungeons where I die with a single misstep and some to be cakewalks.

This one guy had a swarm of pitbulls, and in traditional roguelike fashion you take turns moving. Well his house was a series of doors and every step I took the closer I was to being attacked so I had to choose a door and just hope it was the one with the vault. The door I opened lead to a room filled with even more guard dogs.

Some dudes are really fucking good at defending. Like when you look at the server browser (ie the list of houses you can rob) it'll show how many people invaded and how many people died doing so. If the number of deaths is even marginally close to the number of invasions then that house is really unsafe.

I should mention if you die while robbing its game over completely. You have to start with a new house, family, everything.

Going to check it out once I have £4 to my name. Kinda reminds me of dwarf fortress, with both fortress and adventure mode melded into one. Well, and human opponents, too.

Kinda more sinister in a way, that you never actually get to meet your enemies in person. >_>

There is not as much content as dwarf fortress but its still alpha so

...Erm, played Hawken a little more...

Gotta admit, it's growing on me. At first I thought it was the pay-to-win mechs which made it so hard; But it isn't, it's the leveling up system which is kinda bull. And the fact that you have to pay game money for paint. But yeah. It's actually perfectly possible to hold your own in the starting mecha after you reach around about the seventh level, and I realized after I could finally buy a second mecha that it's pretty much the same story but with some tweaked gameplay. It's not pay to win, it's grind to win.

The dilemma, I guess, is that playing as a jerk seems to be the only way that pays off. Shooting people who are trying to repair, or waiting for your pursuers around corners are the bread and butter of this game. At least if you don't want a one-to-one kill ratio.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing? My mind is still not entirely made up.
    Last edited by Regantor; 03-16-2013 at 08:01 PM.

play 2 win

isnt that how u do well in every game

The other way around, really.

In an ordinary FPS, you win when you shoot better. In Hawken, you win when you run away better.

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    The other way around, really.

In an ordinary FPS, you win when you shoot better.
    Man that is crazy untrue what are you even saying. Why are you doing this.

How so? In an ordinary FPS you at least have sniper rifles and everything. Unless you have like super cash, almost all of the guns in Hawken are crap except at point blank.

Even the worst fps games are about positioning and map control. Being able to shoot well doesn't really matter if you can't get into a position to safely shoot at somebody.