Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Storytelling in Games Thread

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    You two forget that video games are an interactive media, which means they should be completely customizable.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure you said that.

Also, did you just call me "fiend"? lol.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 11-04-2011 at 08:08 PM.

You idiot! Do you know what open world means?! An open-world game is a game with exploration, I did not say any of those words! When did I say open-world?! I said open in a damn storytelling thread! Jesus, stop playing semantics and make a valid point!

I'm not trying to play semantics rofl. I mean, you clearly just said all video games should be completely customizable. Unless you're willing to go back on that statement, I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

Because, as I said, if all games are meant to be "interactive" in the sense that they're completely customizable, it would destroy every known concept of genre and purpose. No games would have an objective nor any solid mode of gameplay. Minecraft is considered by many to be "completely customizable", which is why I used it as an example. And even then it is inevitably rooted in some form of intended mode of gameplay. You're supposed to do certain things. So not only is "completely customizable" an impossibility but it would ruin gaming altogether. This was also a counterpoint to Mass Effect as Mass Effect is not completely customizable either, despite being open-ended. And you mentioned ME, of all things, when making a statement about how games //should// be, therefore I countered that statement by saying your example doesn't qualify nor is your general statement correct.

Is that easier to comprehend?

Also, are you high right now? Please tell me you're high.

Just to avoid another roundabout screampost, let's put this in simple statements:

You said: games = interactive, therefore they should be completely customizable
    In short, interactive = completely customizable

I said: not necessarily. Many types of games are not customizable, such as fighting games, but are interactive nonetheless.
    In other words, interactive =/= completely customizable
    Interactive = having viable gameplay suited to the genre

If games = completely customizable, they would also be entirely open-world and open-ended, right? There would be no limitation on where you could be or what you could do, nor any "suggested" method of play
    I said:

1.) that is impossible, using Minecraft as a counterpoint
    2.) It would destroy every concept of genre as there would be no standard model for gameplay of any type
    3.) It would be a life sim, which is fucking boring and pointless
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 11-04-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Look, it seems like you really don't know what open-world means. I posted it a minute ago, review that.

Street Fighter should be customizable. I should be able to make my dude look differently, change his first name or both while he retains a title, and I should be able to choose his taunts from a list. That's what I would do differently for that.

You can easily write mods for Minecraft. If you wanted to make a server that was basically a giant orgy, you could do that. It's completely customizable, for all intents and purposes. The same goes for any game, really, but they're not nearly as easy as Minecraft. I made a Cthulhu mod, yet I also hire a man to do my coding in C++, that's the difference between Minecraft and everything else.

You seem to also be making radical, polar assumptions of what I've said. I've never been known to be an extremist, let's stay logical here and deduce, not ass-u-me. Of course some games should have objectives. All games should, really, but whether or not they should be forced is debatable. Would you like to toss that in there too?

Lastly, explain to me how my example does not qualify. What qualifications have you made that are official, O great Dictator? You're really not making any sense, you're sounding like a Communist in all rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    Look, it seems like you really don't know what open-world means. I posted it a minute ago, review that.
    Actually, I do. But you said games should be completely customizable, right? Therefore you should be able to go anywhere and do anything, correct? That sounds like open-world, open-ended to me.

Street Fighter should be customizable.
    Oh, did we just downgrade from "games should be completely customizable" to "Street Fighter should be a little bit customizable"? In which case, I agree. But obviously that's not what you initially said.

You can easily write mods for Minecraft.
    Then it's not Minecraft anymore. It's a separate game created with Minecraft's engine. And even then, there is a specified way in which to "play" those mods. My point stands.

Of course some games should have objectives. All games should, really, but whether or not they should be forced is debatable. Would you like to toss that in there too?
    This is what this thread is about. Welcome to the discussion, I'm glad you could finally join us.

Lastly, explain to me how my example does not qualify.
    1.) You obviously have no idea what Communism means
    2.) Mass Effect is not completely customizable by any means. You cannot go anywhere you want, nor talk to anyone you want, nor do anything you want. You can do these things to a comfortable extent, but never to the point of "complete customization".

You're taking everything out of hand. I'm really fed up with it. I'm done here.

This is the part where you storm off and slam your bedroom door right.

No, I'm not angry, I'm just frustrated with a mutant. Was, really, but hey.

Can someone explain to me what the point of having customisation in a non-plot-driven game like Street Fighter would be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Well, for the Alpha and Zero games, and for IV, the customizations are part of the gameplay. In Alpha and Zero, you can choose what kind of super you have (custom combo, 3 tiered, or 1 tier) and in IV you can pick your Ultra, so it suits your playstyle. Otherwise: completely pointless aside from personalization. Which is actually the point I was making.