Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Storytelling in Games Thread

So you're saying games lack something in story, Cypress? How about they compromise with multiples of endings and story variants. Problem solved?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    That being said he decided to knock everyone who doesn't enjoy what he does, destroying his credibility in the process.
    Oh my god this. This so much. So hard I bleed.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    So you're saying games lack something in story, Cypress? How about they compromise with multiples of endings and story variants. Problem solved?
    Actually this is exactly the issue. This whole thread is about why we have to make that compromise when both are equally important to narratives. As Regantor said: setting and story.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    Actually this is exactly the issue. This whole thread is about why we have to make that compromise when both are equally important to narratives. As Regantor said: setting and story.
    What if Star Wars had multiple endings? Or the Harry Potter series? Or any other popular story? Suddenly no one know's what "really happened," and it's hard to get attached to one story branch when there are multiple alternatives of equal weight. You end up feeling spread out and shallow. It's the same with video games. When there are 5 endings you can get and none of them are officially the "real ending," it's often harder to appreciate the story, not to mention it makes the chance of a direct sequel very slim.

No, no, that isn't true at all. If you get a bad ending, it just makes you want to try harder. If James drives his car into a fucking lake in SH2 you play it again and try to get Maria or Leaves and then even Rebirth.

SPOILER! :
    If Shepard fucking dies at the end of Mass Effect 2 because none of your squadmates were loyal (meaning they all die as a consequence) and Joker is too crippled to pull your heavy ass + armor back onto the Normandy, it makes you want to play again and make everybody like you more and want to be your friend. And maybe even bag a Quarian.

You two forget that video games are an interactive media, which means they should be completely customizable. You wanna kill your father? Go ahead. Don't want to? Spare the bastard. You wanna fuck someone? Get it on. Want to be a loner? Hey, your call.

Ohohohoho. Hold up a second buddy. Though I do see what you're saying and I'm an advocate for merging the two types of story-telling, you are mistaking interactivity for open-world/open-endedness. Interactivity works on many levels and not necessarily on the level of realism, as you are suggesting. What we have right now are two niche types of storytelling games: the JRPG, which focuses on central plot and the WRPG, which focuses on a saturation of choices. My idea was to create a best-of-both-worlds situation, and we are discussing how that can be achieved.

Anyway, your interpretation of "interactivity" is very narrow considering all games are essentially interactive, even Street Fighter. But Street Fighter is, by no means, "realistic". You can't kill people you want to kill, or choose NOT to participate in the tourney. But it is interactive on a level that works with that specific type of game. The interactivity lies in the combat and is actually very in-depth in that aspect. So to say "interactivity" is merely doing what you want would destroy all concepts of genre and purpose. If I could go around doing whatever I wanted in Street Fighter, it wouldn't be a fighting game. Hell, would it even be a game? It would be a life sim.

And yes, Fenn, that has been my point all along. With an over-saturation of choices, there is no possible way to make all of the choices meaningful. In fact, most of the choices will probably be inconsequential or meaningless. That is why a strong central plot should exist to establish PURPOSE in the game.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 11-04-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    No, no, that isn't true at all. If you get a bad ending, it just makes you want to try harder. If James drives his car into a fucking lake in SH2 you play it again and try to get Maria or Leaves and then even Rebirth.

SPOILER! :
    If Shepard fucking dies at the end of Mass Effect 2 because none of your squadmates were loyal (meaning they all die as a consequence) and Joker is too crippled to pull your heavy ass + armor back onto the Normandy, it makes you want to play again and make everybody like you more and want to be your friend. And maybe even bag a Quarian.

You two forget that video games are an interactive media, which means they should be completely customizable. You wanna kill your father? Go ahead. Don't want to? Spare the bastard. You wanna fuck someone? Get it on. Want to be a loner? Hey, your call.
    That's different. Mass Effect has a "correct" ending, if I am correct. Or does the next game change based on your ending in the previous one? That's completely different than having multiple valid endings--I'd liken it to an "alternate ending" on DVD bonus features.

Yep. There is still one way you're supposed to do things.

First off, Cypress, you can't liken this to Street Fighter. This is a story thread, not a brawler thread. Secondly, what the hell do you mean "one way you're supposed to do things"? You can do anything however you want, you arbitrary dictator.

Yes, yes I can. You made a general statement that games are "about interactivity" and hence should be open-world/ended. I said your definition of interactivity is flawed in the sense that games can be interactive and not necessarily open-ended. In fact, if all games went by your definition of "interactivity", all games would be Minecraft. Even then, in Minecraft there are things you're "supposed" to do. Certain actions are considered "playing the game" and others are not. That's because, even in a game like Minecraft, you are encouraged by the game mechanics to do specific things.

If I sat around all day in Minecraft jumping on top of blocks, then jumping off, then jumping on again, am I "playing it right"?

When did I ever say that games should be open-world? I never said that, fiend. Not once did I. First, games with stories should be open-ended, you fool. Street Fighter and Minecraft do not count, and Minecraft, for all it matters, is the ultimate open-world open-end game. Second, and most important, you're twisting my words around, you. Interactive media should be open (not open world) to the point where the player is satisfied.