Thread: Good day/night to you sir/miss

Good day/night to you sir/miss

Well, eventually after a while I made up my mind and registered to the forum.

What I seek is some insight or some help now and then to improve my skill. (And to show off sometimes)

Interests: Obviously manga, I have a passion for metal...and that's pretty much it for the relevant part.

Disclaimer: No, Riot does not come from "Riot Games", I've been making use of the nick for some time now, before LoL got so popular.

~Cheers

hi welcome

Sir-Mass-a-Lot
    Hi please don't start a riot thanks

@Sylux: Why wouldn't I, that's just part of the fun, in a totally respectuful...and not so destructive (just a bit) manner

Welcome, welcome!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonfyre View Post
    She has spoken and so we must obey!

I noticed that it takes a reasonable amount of time to get marked as positive by the mods (not like I'd blame them) so I figured I might post on some on my own manga/anime preferences, with some explanation as to why I like those above others and just for the giggles a FAQ after that, so sit back, relax and enjoy the vage and not so professional commentary.

Top 10 on anime/manga and why:

NUMBER 10: HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD

SPOILER! :

How could you go wrong with the nightmarish scenario Mr. George A. Romero brought us with his Night of the living dead, where brain eating zombies want to feast on you, and other survivors preffer you dead! Top that with Tons of Hormones™, lots of boobs, a pack of homebrew guns and the urge to survive. Could not be the most fresh idea out there, but it certainly is worth watching, even more if you're a zombie fan, such as myself.

NUMBER 9: NEON GENESIS EVANGELION

SPOILER! :

Were you maybe expecting to see...the Addams family? (Did I just make a Ninja Turtles III reference? Oh dear...) Now really, I've heard a lot of people say how they were expecting Evangelion to be a mecha anime, well, it kind of has...some...of that, but no, this is all about delving deep into one's psichology, sure, the angel attacks can be awesome and there is some action here and there, Shinji goes emo sometimes, Rei is just mysterious all the time and Asuka is just plain annoying, but that's not the issue the plot is trying to cover, more like to merge all the minds of humanity in one single consciousness via NERV technology, eliminating solitude, individualism and the pain all those feelings bring. The ending (the real one, not the cheap 1st OVA ending, that was hideous) is simply perfect, I understand many people might disagree with me, so, OMEDETOU!

NUMBER 8: SWORD ART ONLINE

SPOILER! :

The idea is simply amazing; virtual reality + mmorpg = pure win. Add in the fact that the creator of the game might had gone slightly crazy, and won't let anyone out of his fantasy world unless they beat the game and if you die, you die for good...this can't go wrong in any way, right? RIGHT?! Unfortunately, it does, once the first part is over and they beat the game, Asuna unfortunately dosn't wake up and Kirito has to save the lady in distress, once a brave heroine. I can stand the romance between Kirito and Asuna, they are lovable, but Alfheim was just terrible in my opinion, that's the only reason it's #8 and if I had to recomend it to anyone, I'd highly recomend they skipped Alfheim.

NUMBER 7: FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST: BROTHERHOOD

SPOILER! :

Yes, this is the anime that the manga diserved, I won't lie, I haven't even finished watching the original anime, I disliked it so much that eventually I stopped watching. When this one came out, I was a little skeptical, and thought they might screw up again as they did the first time, but I was amazed how true it stood to the manga, right to the very end, and I have to say that the ending has one of the best climaxes in the history of manga/anime. What else can I really say about the Elric brothers that anyone didn't knew? The whole alchemy concept is wonderful and kept me engaged to the story to see exactly how many hideous or horrible things could be created through alchemy, and I wasn't dissapointed.

NUMBER 6: SOUL EATER

SPOILER! :

Maybe the plot is not exactly quantum physics, but it's all about the style and how you tell the story, that's what makes Soul Eater to me such a fantastic story, the characters are really lovable such as Maka or hateable such as black star would be in the beggining, they eventually progress later on as the story spiral downward to the inevitable battle against the almighty Kishin, wich is tangible madness. The creepy madness moments also add up as you see how literally anyone can go insane in a way or the other. I must clarify that all along I've been talking about the manga since the anime was a fairly short ride, it is worth watching, but not as much as the manga.

NUMBER 5: UMINEKO NO NAKU KORO NI

SPOILER! :

Bwahahaha, I shall now procede to talk in red: Witches are badass! I mean it, they are sadistic, powerful and utterly bored, so how do they kill time? (Hahaha, timeless witches killing time) They create games in sort of parallel realities with some specific rules and spend maybe hundreds of years just playing the game, when you have all the time you could want, it's not really a waste of time I guess. The whole point of the series is for Battler to accept that witches exist, wich he will be denying again and again, so he has to explain the horrible deaths that occur on Rokkenjima. Each "game" is an arc, where you as the viewer have to guess as well who the murderer/s might be in each arc in a very detectivesque way. When an arc is completed the game starts anew, questioning yourself about Battler's mental health in his endless affair against Beatrice, the golden witch.

NUMBER 4: STEINS;GATE

SPOILER! :

Based on a Pc game, the story is compelling most of the time, twists and turns everywhere, and it's actually based on some interesting scientific theories, some make more sense than others, but that's the downside of unprovable theories. I love the feeling of a day to day basis characters would go on and talk about internet memes, you would see them join @channel to post stuff, there's even the Alpacaman (A pun to the Dreamcast Seaman) and even make some meta jokes as they would taunt Makise for beeing a tsundere. Okarin the main character and potential MAD SCIENTIST HOUOUIN KYOUMA BWAHAHAHA (ehem, excuse me) is just great, you see him time and again talking to hymself via turned off cell phone, with trully awesome B serie sci-fi movie phrases. Overall it's fun, there's a bit of romance, there are quite some tough moments and the ending was enjoyable and justified. Tuturuu~~ Mayushi recommends it.

NUMBER 3: SHINGEKI NO KYOJIN

SPOILER! :

This one is fairly new to the sceen yet it's absolutely great. The neverending need to find new ways to destroy humanity brought this monster to life, and it's breathtaking. Death is everywhere, all the characters are red shirts, so I really got used to see important people dying, and that's just not right, shingeki really shows that you never have to get used to people dying, ever. Strong character women, featuring Mikasa Ackerman, Eren's guardian angel, exreamly violent and explicit action, dark and grimm, characters struggle again and again against the feeling of inminent death and weakness. It's trully a must watch, if you're 18+ that is. The opening of the anime has the most catchy bloody song ever made, it literally fits with anything!

NUMBER 2: FAIRY TAIL

SPOILER! :

*BRACE YOURSELF, FANBOY INCOMING!!*

For me, the best shonen to had even been made, it's still in the making, so it will just keep getting better and better. Lots of characters ('CUZ GUILDS EVERYWHERE), most of them are well designed, there is a wide array of personalities, it's easy to find a favorite. The way characters evolve is slow, but steady, no huge changes in that way, but I tend to look back and think "Hey, Lucy used to actually be much more useless" or "Is Natsu actually acting more mature than he would be normally?". The same as Shingeki, there are quite a few strong women characters, beeing Erza the most badass of them. The plot is somewhat predictable, and sometimes just punches you in the face a with an unexpected twist, each saga is better and better than the last, always fresh, always transmits Hiro's passion. Some mysterious loose ends, that eventually turn out to have their own saga. I know, I'm really acting like a fanboy, what about some flaws? Well, there's a lot of fan service, if you're not into that, but in my biased opinion I can't really point out any major flaws. Oh, did I mention it has the best OST ever to exist?

NUMBER 1: MIRAI NIKKI

SPOILER! :

A modern masterpiece of manga, as it single-handedly introduced the worlds most yandere character, Yuno Gasai, wich really contrasts with the wimpy Amano Yukiteru, but hey, the girl's in love. While the story I feel it's like a mash of genres, Yuki reminded me so much of Tsuna from Katekyo hitman, The twelfth: Yomotsu Hirasaka, the super sentai guy, made me laugh so much, I really wanted to see more of that one, The seventh, wich is actually a pair, Marco Ikusaba and Ai Mikami, really brought memories of Tenjou Tenge, the eight: Kamado Ueshita, wich is Cooking Mama actually! (Disclaimer: this may not be true), The ninth, Minene Uryu, has such a drastic change from the first time she shows up with a bride vest and bombing all the school, to the later, much more serious character, and there's a lot more to be said but I'd clearly never end. The whole survival game idea is so Battle Royale-ish plus adding the whole future diary concept (wich at first really made Death Note pop up in my mind) where each character has one based on his personality. Of course, how could I not mention the kick-ass song in the first opening? As a last statement the ending is brilliant; it's tense, it has action, it has feeling and even leaves a small window for future stories to be told. It also features MuruMuru, who I think is the most funny and interesting side character ever made.(hence the avatar)

So there you have it, now for some FAQ:

Q: Dude, have you ever heard about Dragon Ball Z? Like THE BEST THING TO EVAR HAPPEN?!
    A: Why yes, I have, I have seen it as a child, as a teenager and as a young adult, and the more I see it, the more flaws I find in the plot. I won't say it's bad, if it were it wouldn't had drawn so much attention, right? But the only thing it has now to me is the nostalgia factor, and I wouldn't put it in a Top whatsoever.

Q: Duh, What about Naruto and Bleach? HUH?
    A: I won't even start with Naruto, I mean...fillers! Oh God! And why do ninjas turn into super sayia...enough...
    Bleach had one of the best starts ever, the idea of shinigamis was not that overly exploited as it would be now and it had much to offer, what happened was that this one guy, Ichigo, would soon become so ridiculously overpowered that basically he had to be stripped of ALL of his powers...now, ok, that might be reasonable...to end a story, a bit sad, but ok, the fact is it dosn't end there, and perpetuates into this "fullbringer" thing, I really stoped reading the manga at that point.

Q: What is it that you most hate in an anime?
    A: To keep it short, I can't stand when they rush the adaptation of a manga to an anime. What happens is that the anime quickly reaches the manga, and then there's only 3 ways to go:
    • The right way: Pause the anime, slap a "to be continued" over it, wait for the manga to get some distance, make season 2 (what I think they want to do with Fairy Tail).

• The wrong way: Make countless fillers to keep the people entertained so it dosn't drop in popularity, but what usually happens is that the fillers are so bad it DROPS the popularity down.

• The WTF way: Stray away from the original source or end prematurely, many animes suffer from this, they don't want to wreck it with fillers, so they make a storyline completely different from what the original thing was, most of the times, they do ir wrong (Claymore, Gantz, Fullmetal Alchemist, Soul Eater etc.).

Q: Any other titles you would like to mention anyway even if not on the top 10?
    A: Well, I already have mentioned a lot of stuff, but just to make it official: Gantz, Tenjou Tenge, Death Note (although it's massively overrated, it's ok, at least until it gets to Near and Mello), Angel Beats, Another, Claymore, Chaos;head, Elfen Lied, Seikon no Qwaser, School Days, Slayers (with all the Next, Try and so on), Saber Marionette J (and J to X), Sailor Moon (and all the nonsense that came after: R, S, Super S), Shinsekai Yori (Warning: Yaoi/Yuri happens), Lucky Star, Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, One Piece...am I missing anything? I hope not...

Q: Everybody thinks they're a critic nowadays!
    A: DOUBLE RAINBOW ACROSS THE SKY!

Don't take me in too seriously, at the end of the day, my humor could infuriate certain people, no harm intended.

Ri0t out.
    Last edited by Ri0t; 07-09-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Regular Member TheVermillionFox's Avatar
    Haha I hope you enjoy yourself here.
    I am actually Roy Mustang.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Hey Riot, welcome to Manga Tutorials! Yeah... it can take awhile to get approved sometimes. Too many spam bots to go through through usually. FYI - if you comment one more time and it's approved, you should be able to comment anywhere in the forum. :>

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    FYI - if you comment one more time and it's approved, you should be able to comment anywhere in the forum. :>
    And that mere fact fills me with joy :3

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Hahah! You're all good to go. ; )