Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this art called and how do I learn it?

Fenn

What is this art called and how do I learn it?

Some of my favorite art looks like this:

There's a problem though. I have no idea what kind of art this is! I know it's digital, but simply looking for digital art tutorials is too broad.

Also, how is this art usually made? I have no idea how I would even find inspiration or determine a basic plan of what to make for art like this. But it's so awe-inspiring and beautiful I really want to learn how to make it.

Help?

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I think that's called Fractal art. Or something close to it. The bottom one looks like something different.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    I think that's called Fractal art. Or something close to it. The bottom one looks like something different.
    Hm...a google image search of "fractal art" bring up only a few relevant images. I think what I have in mind is less patterned and mathematical. Thanks though.

Can you link how you found those images? I may be able to work some magic google powers and come up with something. It may just be a distant relative of fractal, lol.

One Thousand Member indescribable's Avatar
    I'll bet you just about anything that the first two are fractal art. Not all fractal art looks like this or this. Some is very simple, such as that done by a total amateur who has no idea what they're doing (ie. me).

There's obviously a lot of heavy editing that's been done, and the first one could even be more than one fractal merged together. The third image is just an abstract piece and is pretty simple to make in Photoshop. Just google "abstract photoshop tutorials" or something for ideas. It's basically just about using layer blending modes and gradients and blurring and such.

My suggestion would be to download a fractal generating program (I used Apophysis) and do some experiments. I never really did learn how to use it properly, 'cause I'm stupid like that, but it's not difficult to get a shape similar to that of the second image you posted. After that, just edit it like crazy in some kind of graphics editor.

Be forewarned though -- these programs will eat your RAM, and possibly the entire contents of your wallet if you opt for a program like Photoshop.

Just download Paint.net or GIMP. Paint.net has a fractal filter that you can randomize seeds for to your heart's content. You can download fractal plugins for GIMP, although they may cost you.

Also yea, Tay seems to be right.

GIMP has fractal plugins? o - o I never would have guessed.

I've used this plugin before. It's not as shiny as others, but it works.

Very niiice. Not quite as intricate as an actual fractal program, but it sure seems to render a heck of a lot faster, lol. (Then again, when I was using Apophysis I had a really crap computer, so. -shrug-)

Fenn
    I googled "abstract art wallpaper." So I think it's just considered abstract then, I just didn't think that was the real name for it. When I think "abstract art" I think paint on canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Just download Paint.net or GIMP. Paint.net has a fractal filter that you can randomize seeds for to your heart's content. You can download fractal plugins for GIMP, although they may cost you.

Also yea, Tay seems to be right.
    I have Paint.net that's what I was planning on using. Thanks guys.