Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Francy's Art - Critique wanted - Some NSFW.

Quote Originally Posted by Gedeon View Post
    Hands & arms too big, well the arms are ok but the wrists are not there. And some of the muscles (left from the jewels) look weird. I think the line's are too hard cut of.
    I don't draw Bison's hands in human proportion since I don't see him as human.

The legs, I actually used a reference image and their muscles were that cut XD You have to remember that Bison is uber uber buff.
    I know the wrist problem and it's something I'm still struggling to fix. It's driving me mad.
    The right arm needs to be longer too.
    Last edited by FrancysPai; 12-20-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Bleeeehehehehe.

Are you actually looking at pictures of nude men when you draw? It's just that everything looks a bit off. Try loosening up when you draw and block out the form in very quick and simple terms before trying to cram in all the detail. It will help with correct muscle placement. Like Cloudy said you do not need a figure drawing class. I've never actually had a formal one aside from my art teacher telling me to draw the person sitting next to me. Most of the learning you do will be entirely on your own contrary to popular belief. Collect reference pictures as you surf the web and do quick sketches of them every now and again.

More specifically it looks like you could really use some time studying hands and feet. It seems to me that you just rush through them and toss detail to the wind in favor of focusing on other parts of the body.

Even if you do not see a particular character as human that doesn't mean you can break the laws of basic anatomy. Sure proportions can be pushed and rules can be bent but even when drawing completely alien creatures it is important to remember how complex organic creatures function. If your character is at least based on the human form you should get the human form right before trying to break it's rules in a convincing manner.

I feel your musculature is being way way way over defined and over rendered. Careful with those shadows.

I'm probably the only person brave enough to comment on this but here goes.
    SPOILER! :
    The penis isn't just slapped on there. It is rooted in the pelvis and the base will line up with the center of the abdominal muscles. His is very out of place. And then the shaft actually continues past the front of the body underneath the pelvis so it won't just hang straight down like that even when flaccid. Get some ref pics and you'll see what I mean.
    "Join Luthor in Ultraman's fortress and leave Superwoman to me and my mustache."

I really don't see the problem with drawing Bison outside of human proportion when official artwork of him is like this;

I don't look at reference pictures 80% of the time until I'm done. Because I can compare them and see where I'm going wrong.
    I'm not going to always have references on hand when I draw, so I'm not relying on them as much as I evidently should.

I'm drawing for myself. I'm not aiming to get to the stage of commissions or being professional, freelance, whatever.
    All my goal in the end is, is to be able to draw my doujinshi that I've had planned since I started fanfiction.

And I'm aware of the penis problem. A friend went over it with me afterwards. I've fixed it in the sketch form but not in the digital art. Because I'd rather just keep going and not dwelling and just getting it right next time.

I don't even rush hands and feet, I just have a very difficult time understanding their structure.
    I'm trying. I'm fricken trying.
    I have only been drawing for 4 months so give me a break.
    Last edited by FrancysPai; 12-28-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Forgive me. I was simply giving standard critique.
    "Join Luthor in Ultraman's fortress and leave Superwoman to me and my mustache."

Quote Originally Posted by FrancysPai View Post
    I really don't see the problem with drawing Bison outside of human proportion when official artwork of him is like this;
    to be honest. that pic is pretty proportional...its just highly exaggerated. Once everything is in proper anatomical place, THEN you can have huge hands and muscles and still make it believable to your viewers. But like Kasey said, You need to know how to draw the way it REALLY looks, before you can believably exaggerate it.

I'm drawing for myself. I'm not aiming to get to the stage of commissions or being professional, freelance, whatever.
    All my goal in the end is, is to be able to draw my doujinshi that I've had planned since I started fanfiction.
    In that case... i don't see why you are here, you could draw a doujinshi right now :/ . But I think you are still trying to reach some sort of standard before you start right? And If its a personal standard we will never know what it is you are trying to accomplish, so most people are going to continue to say whatever they think the problem is. Remember that we are only trying to help ;D

It felt more like an insult to be told that I evidently know nothing about anatomy.
    Can you blame me for getting irked by that when I've been trying? I'm sorry that within four months I'm not some anatomy god like half of the people here.
    It's not like I'm drawing stick figures and going "Look at how proportionate I am!"

But then of course, if you're not drawing because you want it as a profession, then I evidently have no business here.

So whatever. I'll leave you guys to it since obviously a newbie like me isn't exactly welcome among the likes of people who know what they're doing already.

It felt more like an insult to be told that I evidently know nothing about anatomy.
    Can you blame me for getting irked by that when I've been trying? I'm sorry that within four months I'm not some anatomy god like half of the people here.
    It's not like I'm drawing stick figures and going "Look at how proportionate I am!"

But then of course, if you're not drawing because you want it as a profession, then I evidently have no business here.

So whatever. I'll leave you guys to it since obviously a newbie like me isn't exactly welcome among the likes of people who know what they're doing already.
    I do understand! but you missed my point. we want nothing more than for you to be here and to see your art. but this is the Crit Corner... people are going to crit your art in a way THEY feel is going to make you a better artist. Sometimes people can be a little harsh when it comes to crits, maybe they don't chose the best words to convey their meaning (>-> very often actually)... what im saying is you kinda have to expect it. MOST people here have good intentions. It has nothing to do with becoming pro. what you want to do with the knowledge you obtain here is up to you, we just want to get you to where you want to be. Please don't let this stumble you.

Woah woah woahhh no one is insulting anyone, people are simply pointing things out.

Francy don't take things people say as a personal attack because it's far from it, instead read what people are telling you, try and take it on board, they are trying to help you improve as an artist. and if you disagree with what it is then fine.

No one expects you to be pro in 4 months we have all been there and of course you are welcome here, but please remember this is the critique section...sometimes people say things you do not want to hear.

You post your art in here to improve and people will Judge it.

Look, the last thing I was out to do was insult you or cause drama. That was the opposite of my intentions. If I sounded like I was attacking you then I am truly sorry and should you decide to stay I will be far more cautious with my word choice in later critiques. Again I'm sorry for upsetting you.
    But as Nwap said, if you do not wan't to hear the critique and are only out to create a doujinshi for yourself then the critique corner is not for you. Might I suggest just jumping into your manga and posting it in the Manga Works thread? I'm sure you'll get more of the type of feedback you seem to be looking for there.