Page 53 of 71 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 708

Thread: Psalm 14: Who was Jesus' grandpa?

  1. #521
    Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,995
    Premise: Science cannot do impossible things.
    Conclusion: God exists.
    ^ Is insane.
    You are fighting for God. If creating the entire fucking universe doesn't qualify you for being "God" then I don't know what does.

    Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

  2. #522
    Damn Kodos, do you not get bored with arguing with people who only throw out 'God of the Gaps' fallacies? Id of lost my rag by now. Kudos, Kodos.

    On a seperate note, I was having a discussion with a Swedish guy on my most recent trip to eastern europe about how one can specifically define a religion. I said that a religion needs to make 1 or 2 (or both) claims in order to be considered a religion: 1. A creation story of some kind (how the Earth/Universe came into existence) 2. A promise of 'something' happening after death, whatever that may be. He agreed with this definition, as im sure most would, but would that then not mean that Scientology is not a religion? As far as I am aware, Scientology makes neither of these claims, it just claims that all of our negative emotion (fear, guilt, envy etc) dont come about from natural psychological means, but from an evil alien warlord who conducted a mass intergalatic genocide millions of years ago, dumped all the bodies in our volcanos and their spirits are what are making us feel a bit blue sometimes. And only through Scientology and a shit load of money can you get rid of these.

    Obvious bullshit, it goes without saying, but this Swedish guy was saying that this is a religion. When asked why, given the definations that we had previously agreed on, he said words to the effect of 'But it gives an alternative to the naturalistic process of how our minds work?' I thought 'Huh?' Is that all a religion needs to do to be considered a religion? Just give an unfounded alternative to anything naturalistic, as oppose to an unfounded alternative to the creation of the universe and what happens after death?

    I sense the guy was talking shit, but it did make me think.

  3. #523
    Zeta Members ram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    in your heart
    Posts
    1,503
    there are a lot of things that will make you think in this world.. kt extinction isn't yet clear to us and how does the homos survive? while the strong dinosaurs died..
    we might be aliens for all we know.. lol

    Premise: Science cannot do impossible things.
    Conclusion: God exists.
    ^ Is insane.
    You are fighting for God. If creating the entire fucking universe doesn't qualify you for being "God" then I don't know what does.
    premises: science needs time to go beyond and require a lot of failure before discovery of anything
    conclusion: the world needs a creator or a savior
    yes i guess i am fighting for "God" you could call it only "faith" but it's hard not to have anything else..

  4. #524
    extinction isn't yet clear to us
    The death of an entire species. Dude, if you find extinction difficult to understand, no wonder you're having trouble.

    how does the homos survive? while the strong dinosaurs died..
    Seriously? You do know that not all dinosaurs were strong right? There is more to knowing about dinosaurs than watching Jurassic Park. There are a few thoeries as to what made the majority of the dinosaurs extinct, but the strongest amount of evidence points to either a catastrophic metoer that hit Earth or that the biological (evolutionary) changes they went through made them less competitive with mammels that were evolving during the Cretaceous Period, hence their dominence and food supply took a nose dive and mammels became dominent. Whatever the case, that has nothing to do with 'why homos survive.' But I have a horrible feeling you asked that question with the misguided notion that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time. They didnt. I don't care what Ray Comfort says, they didn't. Fact.

    premises: science needs time to go beyond and require a lot of failure before discovery of anything
    conclusion: the world needs a creator or a savior
    yes i guess i am fighting for "God" you could call it only "faith" but it's hard not to have anything else..
    Erm...lol

  5. #525
    Fenn
    Guest
    Harvester, you're completely wrong. The creators of Jurassic Park built a time machine, took their equipment back 65 million years, and filmed real life dinosaurs. There's no other way they could look so realistic.


    I was talking to one theist who told me this: I can't explain my faith to you, I can't prove God exists. All I know is that all of the greatest times of my life were the times when I kept God close to me, when I prayed, went to Church, and put my faith in Jesus. Whenever I turn for him, for whatever reason, my life is less fulfilling and far less enjoyable. So why should I stop?

    I had no idea how to reply. I mean, from a pragmatic standpoint, why would this person turn from God after decades of experience living both ways and finding the faith-filled path superior in practice for him? He wasn't trying to convince me of God's existence; he was justifying his continued practice.

  6. #526
    Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvester_Of_Sorrow View Post
    Damn Kodos, do you not get bored with arguing with people who only throw out 'God of the Gaps' fallacies? Id of lost my rag by now. Kudos, Kodos.
    Thanks, and no. It's generally not boring.

    On a seperate note, I was having a discussion with a Swedish guy on my most recent trip to eastern europe about how one can specifically define a religion. I said that a religion needs to make 1 or 2 (or both) claims in order to be considered a religion: 1. A creation story of some kind (how the Earth/Universe came into existence) 2. A promise of 'something' happening after death, whatever that may be. He agreed with this definition, as im sure most would, but would that then not mean that Scientology is not a religion? As far as I am aware, Scientology makes neither of these claims, it just claims that all of our negative emotion (fear, guilt, envy etc) dont come about from natural psychological means, but from an evil alien warlord who conducted a mass intergalatic genocide millions of years ago, dumped all the bodies in our volcanos and their spirits are what are making us feel a bit blue sometimes. And only through Scientology and a shit load of money can you get rid of these.
    I believe thetans and also your 'soul' persist after death, though, so that Scientology does make claims regarding the second.
    I'd argue a religion ought to be defined more along the lines of
    A philosophical or ideological doctrine that deals with many, if not all, of the facets of a person's daily life and has explicit appeals or references to the supernatural.

    It's like 'God' though. An exact and hard definition is kind of hard to pin down. That said, like 'God', I do feel that if all the parties of a discussion are being honest, fair, and reasonable, there is no need to define it. We all know on some intuitive level what a person means, reasonably speaking, when they say 'God' or 'religion' and to pretend otherwise and segue into pointless semantics is just someone trying to confuse the issue by derailing the debate.

    Obvious bullshit, it goes without saying, but this Swedish guy was saying that this is a religion. When asked why, given the definations that we had previously agreed on, he said words to the effect of 'But it gives an alternative to the naturalistic process of how our minds work?' I thought 'Huh?' Is that all a religion needs to do to be considered a religion? Just give an unfounded alternative to anything naturalistic, as oppose to an unfounded alternative to the creation of the universe and what happens after death?

    I sense the guy was talking shit, but it did make me think.
    Suppose you and I were walking in the woods and came across some large footprints. Neither of us have a background in biology, or any real familiarity with hiking, so we have only conjecture. I argue they are a bear's footprints because I know that bears live in these woods and there are no other animals in these woods, to my knowledge, nearly large enough to have made such footprints.

    You disagree. You argue that these are the footprints of Bigfoot himself.

    Is that a religion? You're offering a non-natural explanation for observed yet unexplained natural phenomena. Would your friend say that in this case your belief in Bigfoot and his having made those footprints is enough to qualify your stance as an entire religion? What if you are also a practicing and devout Catholic? Are you now, somehow, two religions at once? Catholic and Bigfootian (The Church of Bigfoot and Latter-Day Sasquatches?)?

    Quote Originally Posted by ramiel View Post
    there are a lot of things that will make you think in this world.. kt extinction isn't yet clear to us and how does the homos survive? while the strong dinosaurs died..
    we might be aliens for all we know.. lol
    There is so much wrong with this that I do not even know where to begin.
    1. Humanity and dinosaurs did not co-exist. Hell, if I remember my shit right, there were barely any mammals at the time of the dinosaurs except for Dimetrodons which are strange ass motherfuckers.
    2. Godzilla survived. So did Nessie. Not all the Dinosaurs are dead.
    3. If you are going to argue that Humans are aliens who came to Earth from another planet please explain the fossil record. Thank you.

    premises: science needs time to go beyond and require a lot of failure before discovery of anything
    conclusion: the world needs a creator or a savior
    That is a complete non-sequitor.

    Premise: My air conditioner is set to 72 at the moment.
    Conclusion: Give me 100$.

    yes i guess i am fighting for "God" you could call it only "faith" but it's hard not to have anything else..
    Yes, it is hard to live life without faith. It is, however, very easy to live life with faith in real things. I've faith in plenty of things. I've faith in my friends, in science, and in people in general. All real things that I can see and hear, touch and smell. Real things that, when I am sick or lonely, sad or frightened, can help me for real and provide me with genuine betterment and hope, rather than empty promises and fantastic delusions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harvester_Of_Sorrow View Post
    The death of an entire species. Dude, if you find extinction difficult to understand, no wonder you're having trouble.
    Seriously? You do know that not all dinosaurs were strong right?
    You shut your whore mouth! Dinosaurs were all strong, badasss, and could benchpress a truck!

    There is more to knowing about dinosaurs than watching Jurassic Park.
    Yes. I also recommend playing Dino Crisis 1 and 2, watching Dino Riders, 10 Million Years B.C. and also Yor: The Hunter From the Future.

    There are a few thoeries as to what made the majority of the dinosaurs extinct, but the strongest amount of evidence points to either a catastrophic metoer that hit Earth or that the biological (evolutionary) changes they went through made them less competitive with mammels that were evolving during the Cretaceous Period, hence their dominence and food supply took a nose dive and mammels became dominent.
    All joking aside, now, though, I was under the impression that the consensus was that it was the Yucatan meteor impact? I admit I don't follow biology, but that's what I was led to believe.

    Whatever the case, that has nothing to do with 'why homos survive.' But I have a horrible feeling you asked that question with the misguided notion that humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time. They didnt. I don't care what Ray Comfort says, they didn't. Fact.
    How do you explain this, then, Mr. Smarty Pants? Yeah, thought so!

    Erm...lol[/QUOTE]

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    Harvester, you're completely wrong. The creators of Jurassic Park built a time machine, took their equipment back 65 million years, and filmed real life dinosaurs. There's no other way they could look so realistic.
    If I ever change my mind and have children, I am going to convince them that Jurassic Park was a documentary.

    I was talking to one theist who told me this: I can't explain my faith to you, I can't prove God exists. All I know is that all of the greatest times of my life were the times when I kept God close to me, when I prayed, went to Church, and put my faith in Jesus. Whenever I turn for him, for whatever reason, my life is less fulfilling and far less enjoyable. So why should I stop?
    "I was talking to one schizophrenic gentleman at a mental ward who told me this: I can't explain my belief to you, I can't prove the voices exist. All I know is that all of the greatest times of my life were the times when I kept the voices close to me, when I spoke to rocks, screamed at dogs, and put my faith in Ur'Cr'Zy the Lord of Tomorrow and Forever. Whenever I turn from delusion and face reality, for whatever reason, my life is less fulfilling and far less enjoyable. So why should I stop?"
    Except this is even worse than that because, unlike the Christian, the schizophrenic is not hurting anyone, passing his delusions on to children, or legitimizing monstrous and horrific practices.

    I had no idea how to reply. I mean, from a pragmatic standpoint, why would this person turn from God after decades of experience living both ways and finding the faith-filled path superior in practice for him? He wasn't trying to convince me of God's existence; he was justifying his continued practice.
    "Would you object if a man wanted to live his whole life high on morphine? Why? What if he demanded that you pay for his upkeep while he did so? Would you complain then? Why? It would cost the government less than it does to maintain religion and combat the social diseases it causes. Do you honestly believe that reality is unimportant? That if a person wants to divorce themselves from reality and live entirely in a fantasy world that this is acceptable? Are you a parent? How would you feel if your child never lost their imaginary friends and/or their security blanket? They went to work carrying their blanket with them, and would always converse with their imaginary friend during Thanksgiving dinner."

    Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

  7. #527
    Fenn
    Guest
    That would work great if I had quicker thinking, but I can't even manage to explain how wrong religion is. Somehow, even when I try to be firm, my mind can't say what you can express so easily and logically on this site...

    I don't know what it is either.

  8. #528
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
    All joking aside, now, though, I was under the impression that the consensus was that it was the Yucatan meteor impact? I admit I don't follow biology, but that's what I was led to believe.
    You were led to believe a lie!! Nah, not really. It is widely considered that the Yucatan meteor could not account for the shere amount of extinctions that occured. Not to say the meteor did not play its part, it wiped out a vast number of species, but looking at the fossil record and the number of species that contiuned to evolve after the Cretaceous Period, an additional explaintion is needed. As I said, the one with the strongest evidence is the one mentioned in my post. Others are that food supplies got so low that smaller dinosaurs started eating larger dinosaurs eggs, or that some kind of plague or disease wiped out the remainder. But intruth, no one knows for sure. Its not really relevant to be honest, but I suspect Kodos that you, like me, dont want to aquire knowledge to use against others in a debate, you wish to aquire knowledge simply to have that knowledge. Unfortunatly, I dont know for certain, and neither does anyone else, sadly, atleast not at this point, but the Yucatan meteor definatly played a big part, so if anyone ever asks, just say that.

  9. #529
    Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,995
    Huh. The more you know. Next thing you know you'll be telling me that Godzilla wasn't a documentary, or something.

    Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

  10. #530
    Three Trio Tres Member BozeSG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    3.0001th Dimension
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylux
    You say 'no hard feelings' as if Kodos were an unreasonable G...
    ur my angel of misunderstandings sy, i now officially hate you, but no hard feelings, 'kay? (wtf is "G..." anyway?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodos
    when they say 'God' or 'religion' and to pretend otherwise and segue into pointless semantics is just someone trying to confuse the issue by derailing the debate.
    lol
    Yes. I also recommend playing Dino Crisis 1 and 2
    Dude, you just made me nostalgic, damn i loved dinosaurs after playing that... turok would be fun to increase your interest in them as well... uhum...

    anyway, i've always believed a religion is something that provides justifications and a way of living based on a reference, am i wrong?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •