Page 52 of 71 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: Psalm 14: Who was Jesus' grandpa?

Oh come on, listen to yourself! you're only trying to prove me wrong by stating the dubiousness of every single thing i say, well that's my whole freaking point!!!! most of the theories in cosmology are completely unproven, answering every question just leads you to more things to more questions... that's why i'm saying knowledge can be obtained infinitely...

with that being said, i officially give up from this point forward. that was the last argument i could make with my current knowledge. though it's a bit disappointing to say, the only thing that this thread made me realise was that "god's existence cannot be proven" and "i really need to get a haircut". i guess i still have to learn more, so don't take whatever i say from now on in this thread seriously...
    and kodos, though this was the first time i ever had a debate, no hard feelings, 'kay?
    *goes off to commit suicide*

You say 'no hard feelings' as if Kodos were an unreasonable G...

Fenn

I can't let this thing die; how else will I procrastinate?

Okay new theory. You know how we talked about that "illusion" of free will? Could this idea of "God" people have created be the result of an illusion similar to free will, where to that person, the factors at work are so complex that even though they are "knowable" in theory, it is unreasonable to ever expect to understand them?

Also, where do you come up with these titles?

No, because not each man has created God; some are born being forced to believe it.

Kodos is smarticle and witty. That's all.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    No, because not each man has created God; some are born being forced to believe it.

Kodos is smarticle and witty. That's all.
    I was refering to those that create it though...

They don't. They're fed it throughout their lives, and their God is tailored to their religion.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    There are a lot of reasons why people believe in religion and deities. The most universal is, I think, fear of death, since to my knowledge every single major religion - in some way or another - involves a negation of death. The victory over death may be pyrrhic or bittersweet, as it is in Hinduism and Buddhism, but it is still there. It's still man, in some way, persisting after death.

I think the reasons why most people would have a literally insane fear of death would be obvious. But I think there's another reason, too, that ties in with why I think creator gods are a universal thing, more or less.

Our brains, again, run on logic. We are very good at seeing patterns in things because that's part of what has allowed us to survive and thrive as a species. Similarly we have a habit - probably for related reasons - to anthropomorphize things. Our brains perceive that the world is an orderly place. Our brains see these patterns, and the complexity of animals (to say nothing of our own complexity) and our brains, in absence of better explanations or other evidence, come to the conclusion that there must be a creator. On surface, it makes sense. Our brains perceive complexity and order and, without other evidence, these things suggest strongly a order-giver complexity-maker.

There are obvious logical flaws with that deduction but early man, like children, apparently did not think it all the way through. Furthermore today this sort of positions is inexcusable because we now have answers. We can see in nature the ways that simple things combining and recombining in chance ways (be they atoms forming molocules, or chemicals forming cells and then organisms) can produce complex and orderly things. We know there is no longer a need for a creator, because we have abundant evidence that simple structures can become complex via exponential combinations, and that chance occurances can, over sufficient periods of time with sufficient elements involves, produce order.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

there is always a limit to everything.. scientist even predict that the sun will someday lose it's fuel...
    you can't say that we don't need a creator or God...
    even science today has it's limits...
    lol i'm bored so i guess i should play debate for now

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ramiel View Post
    there is always a limit to everything.. scientist even predict that the sun will someday lose it's fuel...
    you can't say that we don't need a creator or God...
    even science today has it's limits...
    lol i'm bored so i guess i should play debate for now
    What does that even mean?
    Premise: The Sun will, billions of years from now, one day be unable to perform nuclear fusion.
    Conclusion: God exists.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

no i just put the sun as an example dude... >.<
    We know there is no longer a need for a creator, because we have abundant evidence that simple structures can become complex via exponential combinations, and that chance occurances can, over sufficient periods of time with sufficient elements involves, produce order.
    science is not capable of solving all the problems in this world,,,
    this world still needs a creator... that's what i'm fighting for(not proving that God exist)