Page 61 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Psalm 14: Who was Jesus' grandpa?

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    To be honest, we pretty much have the same vision of the future. We're prolly gonna live a few dozen generations and then fizz out due to resource drain. But I mean, any difference we make is purely for the inherent benefit of the next generation of humans and not for anyone else. So the only positive influence we truly have is on ourselves. Us being on the planet is quite possibly the worst thing ever as we're so far detached from the natural order. So we can't really say it's cruel for "God" to create disasters considering we //are// a disaster and our damage is both massive and irreparable. Ultimately, we are his cruelest invention so that's kind of a contradictory train of thought. We just don't consider ourselves a disaster because we're taking sides. But we definitely are.

^ You're inhuman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    I've finally come up with a reason I really like for not believing in God. Because depression exists. Screw ontological arguments.
    Last edited by Bacon_Barbarian; 10-17-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    To be honest, we pretty much have the same vision of the future. We're prolly gonna live a few dozen generations and then fizz out due to resource drain. But I mean, any difference we make is purely for the inherent benefit of the next generation of humans and not for anyone else. So the only positive influence we truly have is on ourselves. Us being on the planet is quite possibly the worst thing ever as we're so far detached from the natural order. So we can't really say it's cruel for "God" to create disasters considering we //are// a disaster and our damage is both massive and irreparable. Ultimately, we are his cruelest invention so that's kind of a contradictory train of thought. We just don't consider ourselves a disaster because we're taking sides. But we definitely are.
    I guess I agree, even if it's grim. A planet-centric god certainly wouldn't be very happy with us, alrough I still kinda refute what point there would be in seeking to please them in the first place. There are plenty of realistic if sci-fi-ish answers for how I could explain us continuing to exist beyond nature, but that's sorta beyond the point of this thread, so I'll let it rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdooperphailmachine View Post
    Father Christmas is all about receiving.
    Don't take the piss. Santa is real, dammit. Most people just don't get gifts because they are naughty every year. :p

Fenn
    We're considered important if we take the side of humanity. We are a disaster if we take the side of nature.

If we take a neutral stance then we are neither a blessing nor a curse. We simply are. Which brings me to this question: how did we get to this point of existence, with constant suffering and self-destruction? How, from the Big Bang or whatever modern science tells us started it all, and the development of atoms->molecules->complex matter->stars and planets->life, did we end up so flawed?

Are we really flawed? Maybe hatred and war is good. It's good for business, at least.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
    We're considered important if we take the side of humanity. We are a disaster if we take the side of nature.
    Nature is not an entity or a thing. The life forms which constitute nature, besides humans, are incapable of forming value judgments, near as we can tell.

As far as we are able to discern, the statement "man is the measure of all things" is 100% factually accurate. Nothing in the universe that we are aware of besides human beings is capable of making value judgments and decreeing things to be "good" or "bad." Animals can certainly experience pain, and may take steps to avoid pain, but they cannot - as far as we can tell - conceptualize of "bad" the way we can.

Also, stars predate most forms of matter, Fenn. The heavier elements are generally only found as a result of nuclear fusion in solar cores, which are then dispersed in novae. That is why I have said before that humans are holy shit awesome because we are literally made from the ashes of dead stars.

Anyway, how about that God fellow, eh?

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

My aptitude test told me I was going to be a "Scientist". I think it was an advanced nuclear algorithm for "You're going to become God."

remember the little people when u make it

okay buddy but most people who think they're god are serial killers, dictators, or schizophrenics
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.