Quote Originally Posted by Kodos
What? We are talking about how the Bible is a monstrous book written by evil savages who believe that making rape victims become the property of their attacker. Justice and the feelings of the victim have everything to do with it.
YOU are talking about how the Bible is a monstrous book written by evil savages etc. I am talking about how it is incorrect to say that raping someone was not a big deal according to the Bible.

I say again. 50 shekels of silver is a lot of fucking money. Think about it. How many rape convicts do you reckon could pay this humble fee? Few. What do you think would happen to them if they couldn't pay? My bet's on some kind of execution. The passage is clearly a get-out clause for the rich twat who rapes a peasant. You find laws like these across human history.

"Hey Caecilius, this chap raped a girl the other night."
"What does the law say?"
"The weight of her in silver for the father... but this guy has no cash."
"Better kill him then."

"Laws" like this exist, as I said, for the sole purpose of getting a bawdy prince out of trouble.

A woman is property in the Bible. The fine is unpleasant, the bride not so much. If you are the sort of person who rapes other people I imagine you would enjoy the thought of having what amounts to a slave that you can also fuck whenever you want.
To go down the road of trying to argue that the Bible created sexual inequality is annoying. The Bible didn't create these inequalities, they were around far, far, earlier.

You're insane.
AD HOMINEM!

Morals are morals. If something is or is not morally wrong it is always that way. Context may depend on factors, yes, but temporal factors are not one of them. If it is wrong for a society to force rape victims to marry their attackers then it is equally wrong to do it in 2010 CE or BCE.
"Context may depend on factors, yes, but temporal factors are not one of them." - Wut?

Shit gets real when people start waving words like "Right" and "Wrong" about. I'm not all that convinced by "morals" in general. Sure things like this can be nice or not nice, but can they be right or wrong?

No and you are just coming across like a Christian and/or rape apologist. The two are often one and the same. It's amazing how often people who claim high morals will say things along the lines of "Bitch was asking for it wearing that slutty dress."
I claim no high morals and I am no Christian.