Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make a plot that is NOT cliche.?

Who cares. Stay on topic.

lol not really, We have our own kind of relationship on the main site, people doing requests and guiding stuffs, sharing information and so on.

Sylux just realized that it was his one of his friend on the main site he's talking to, that's just it.

Gabrielwright= Amaimon.

101 Dalmations Member GAbRieLWrIgHt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ram View Post
    Amaimon you still haven't answered my question.

I can't see all of those things happening in just 16 pages, It's just far too fast IMO.
    well maybe you can but It depends on your paneling style, if it has a lot of pannels on one page
    yea i know, i'm trying to draw it out, but my first chapter roughdraft wasn't that long. Also, this is only the beginning. I have NO idea what the main focus is going to be. At all. And I only like Ram because of all of his cute avatars and stuff(jk). But seriously, I need to find out what the main focus will be. Otherwise, I'll get stuck. And I don't want to get stuck. That would be bad.

On another note, at the beginning whenever I said that it was too much like Fairy Tail, you can in fact completely disregard that comment. Because it no longer is.

p.s. Is it possible to go more in depth on the thesis thing? I still don't think I fully understand it. Like whenever you eat Toaster Strudles for breakfast. They don't completely fill you up. You might just have to get a gronaola bar.
    Last edited by GAbRieLWrIgHt; 11-04-2011 at 04:00 PM.

Sure! For papers, you can go either of three options: exposition, argument, or analysis. You probably have not done this, but in English-speaking countries in our English classes we learn about these three writing styles.
    • Expository papers are papers where you give detail and background. The best synonym for them is explanation. You'll explain some sort of aspect of something or other in this type of writing.
    • Argumentative papers are papers where you fight for or against something, and perhaps try to persuade your readers to think as you do (this is the most effective option). The best synonym for them is debate. You will debate with an imaginary opponent in this type of writing.
    • Analytical papers are papers where you break something down - like an idea, or a behavior, or even a thought. The best synonym for them is study. You'll study your topic through writing, giving weight and reason to your thoughts.

Expository thesis:
    People spend most of their time in civilized societies working, socializing, and dying, but never thinking.
    Argumentative thesis:
    Censorship is intrinsically wrong in its own right; it has no bearing other than negative on a free society.
    Analytical thesis:
    There are many pros and cons to using a Linux computer, but for a gamer a Windows OS is the best option.

that helps. I guess that explains it. I'm still in junior high, so I take language arts instead.

So I have now found out what I think the main focus will be.

A magical fractal will eventually be the main focus, though it won't start off being a main focus. It will simply be a myth at first. It will be revealed later on, in the 4th or 5th chapter. A lot of important stuff will happen in that chapter. Hopefully. Anyways they will be trying to keep the main enemy from retrieving the fractal's shards. Sound's a bit cliche, tell me if you agree. Here is what the person telling the story will say:

"There is an ancient legend that has been passed down since the time of the Great Magicians death. It is said that in his old age, on his death bed, he weaved the greatest peace of magic ever created. It is said that he mixed all magic, using a large amount of his two sacred magic's: God's magic and Solar magic. He sealed this magic into a giant crystal, as it was very dangerous. As he went to hide it away, he was intercepted by his worst enemy, Akukou. Akukou was much younger than he, as he had partaken from the Fountain of Youth. He attacked the Great, and in the Great's frenzy he split the crystal into an 11 piece fractal. The spell he cast weakened Akukou, as well as the Great Magician. The latter used a binding spell and sealed Akukou, and with that final spell, he exhausted his energy and died. He had two apprentices who gave him a proper funeral. They were the only ones compatible with the Sacred magic's.His first apprentice learned God's magic, and his name was Akihiro, and his second apprentice was named Kino. He learned Solar magic. Afterwards they searched the world for people compatible with both types of magic, but could not find one. " Later on it is proved that it is real.
    Last edited by GAbRieLWrIgHt; 11-06-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by GAbRieLWrIgHt View Post
    So I have now found out what I think the main focus will be.

A magical fractal will eventually be the main focus, though it won't start off being a main focus. It will simply be a myth at first. It will be revealed later on, in the 4th or 5th chapter. A lot of important stuff will happen in that chapter. Hopefully. Anyways they will be trying to keep the main enemy from retrieving the fractal's shards. Sound's a bit cliche, tell me if you agree. Here is what the person telling the story will say:

"There is an ancient legend that has been passed down since the time of the Great Magicians death. It is said that in his old age, on his death bed, he weaved the greatest peace of magic ever created. It is said that he mixed all magic, using a large amount of his two sacred magic's: God's magic and Solar magic. He sealed this magic into a giant crystal, as it was very dangerous. As he went to hide it away, he was intercepted by his worst enemy, Akukou. Akukou was much younger than he, as he had partaken from the Fountain of Youth. He attacked the Great, and in the Great's frenzy he split the crystal into an 11 piece fractal. The spell he cast weakened Akukou, as well as the Great Magician. The latter used a binding spell and sealed Akukou, and with that final spell, he exhausted his energy and died. He had two apprentices who gave him a proper funeral. They were the only ones compatible with the Sacred magic's.His first apprentice learned God's magic, and his name was Akihiro, and his second apprentice was named Kino. He learned Solar magic. Afterwards they searched the world for people compatible with both types of magic, but could not find one. " Later on it is proved that it is real.
    Magic fractal sounds like a really neat idea. Do you know a lot about fractals or did you just pick it because it sounds cool? I'm not judging either , plenty of media use "quantum" and "nano" to make titles sound futuristic.

ummm i know the definition, but i don't really understand it :| but i actually got it from the idea of a gif i saw that was a tree fractal on Google+. But anyway's, that's where i got the idea from. I still feel like the part about finding the shards, and the part about them keeping the enemies from getting them is a bit cliche

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by GAbRieLWrIgHt View Post
    ummm i know the definition, but i don't really understand it :| but i actually got it from the idea of a gif i saw that was a tree fractal on Google+. But anyway's, that's where i got the idea from. I still feel like the part about finding the shards, and the part about them keeping the enemies from getting them is a bit cliche
    TIP TIME! Congratulations! You are in one of the perfect positions to make your story creative. Open up that box and step out of it, look that cliche straight in the face and beat it until you can't recognize it anymore! So the cliche is about finding shards and keeping enemies away from them. How can you do this in a way that is different from the usual?

What if, instead of searching for the shards, they decide to follow the bad guy, in a role reversal? In most stories like these the bad guy is always on the heroe's tails, and they have to beat him to it while hiding from his minions and spies; having the good guys stealthily trail the villain and tick him/her off would be something new.

Or maybe someone created fake shards and scattered them about the world to foil those who searched for them. Is this person a baddie, a hero, or a mysterious third party? Are the fake shards useless or powerful? Also, you could take an ironic route and have the bad guy gather all the shards faster than expected, increasing the danger of the conflict.

When all else fails, you have two remaining options: look at the rest of your story and make IT less cliche to make up for this part, or change the idea of collecting shards completely. Hopefully I've given you a good starting point and an idea of how the de-cliche-ifying process can work. "What if?" is your best friend.

hmmmm...reversed roles...hmmm fake shards...hmmm....gather all the shards...hmmmm, can i use those ideas....hmmm fake shards by apprentices, hmmm.....enemy gets all the fakes.....fakes are powerful