Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: How to make a plot that is NOT cliche.?

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Yeah, it might be best if you cut some stuff out. Or decided to do, let's say, 5 shorter chapters.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

Be like me, read more manga than you need to and build that way, then again my brain works like a computer as my manga is constantly updated automatically in my head, no matter what im doing. This means that i miss episodes of my own anime -.-'. Ive currently seen about maybe 100 eps of a 300 or more episode show that is running in my own head. Am I skitso??

Work chapter by chapter. In each chapter you must have a beginning, middle and end, where you expose the idea, conflicts or characters. With this methodology you are going to have easier to follow a structure in each chapter and also as every chapter have a end you can close the whole story if the audience doesn't find it appealing.

Also, please, not just mangas, read about everything. There is people who read few comics a day and that doesn't help that much, you must read everything that fell in your hands (I read 4 news papers, some articles online, comics and books, also movies and tv series or documentals... try to be a sponge of information).

101 Dalmations Member GAbRieLWrIgHt's Avatar
    I am. Most of the time. Don't know why, but your comments are always helpful. That to all of you, but almost mostly Clock, but it also goes to Bacon and Sylux. And no, you aren't a skitso, the same thing happens to me. Unless we both are.

Fifty Fifty Member Bacon_Barbarian's Avatar
    Well, whatever you do, the best thing is to get started. You're that much closer to completion.
    My AA thread - Updated 06/28/14

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial-Fox View Post
    You're my favorite.

CHARACTER BIO #1

Name: Sodo
    Height: 5'11''
    Weight: 143
    Build: Light, Fast, Average
    Skills: Can use one or two swords. Master of the Shigemune no kōhai.
    Job: Swordsman, one of the Strongest Swordsman in the World.
    Key Traits: Black Eyes, Black Hair, White Vest w/ Black bands that keep it from opening. White, slightly baggy pants, black wraps around ankles and shins or the reverse.(Vest on the latter has no bands and stays open.)
    HomeTown: Langtow, Shihai
    Titles: Goes from 20 to Strongest Swordsman in the World.

Desription: Funny and Sarcastic, loves fighting, but not for blood, for pride. A people-person, everbody likes him, and he likes most everybody else, but not his enemies or people who look down on him. IF somebody is stupid enough to do that, he becomes serious and his personallity changes completly, and he becomes a serious, bad***, cut the crap person. Strategic.

Likes: Swords, collecting swords, legendary swords, sharp swords, women, friends, Yamatori Socki.
    Dislikes: Blunt weapons, people who use blunt weapons, enemies.

Fav phrase: "Lets see who has a sharper mind."

Story: Wants to be the strongest swordsman in the world. The only way he can do that is to fight all of them. He meets his best friend Yamatori Socki while heading to fight the 13th swordsman in the beginning. Later he finds out that none of them were dead, and has to re-fight each of them. He later begins to care more about Yamatori and Akemi.

Character Bio #2

Name: Roshambo
    Height: 6' 2''
    Weight: 159
    Build: Lean, Strong, Fast
    Skillz: Can use scissor swords. Master of Shizasodo style.
    Job: Strongest Swordsman in the world, governer of all the land, above One.
    Key Traits: Tall white hair, Black Head piece. Scissor swords.
    Hometown: Langtow, Shihai
    Titles: Zero, Rock, Paper, Scissor

Description:Serious, no jokes, weird, loves fighting, loves killing, loves completly blowing away his enemies, loves deciding stuff on rock, paper, scissors(can never lose), loves training.

Dislikes: Sodo, his hometown.

Favorite Phrase: Rock...Paper...Scissors

Story: Used to live in the same town that Sodo did, and was his best friend. He ended up trying to massacre the whole town. He got stopped and banished, which caused him to hate Langtow even more. Trained and fought with Sodo. Helped Sodo with his Shigemune no Kohai while Sodo helped him with Shizasodo. Named style partway after his ex-bestfriend. Killed Yamatori's family, Nearly killed Yamatori and Yamatori's sister Akemi. Eventually used Shizasodo style to become the strongest person in the world.

Lots of plots may seem cliched. I would say add a little twist. Yes, the male and female character who used to be friends will fall in love at the end, but perhaps make everything in the middle unique. Lead the audience believing something, then SURPRISE it ends up quite not what they think. The boy still gets the girl in the end. While some of the events in my story or even the plot in general may seem cliched or predictable, I hope that the twists that I add to the middle as well as the characters' unique traits will keep the readers interest.

Make the girl die.

"Strongest in the world" plots are incredibly tired, cliche and predictable if you ask me. Not bashing you specifically, Wright, but basically everyone seems to go after that sort of "My main character is mega jesus" appeal... It's kinda annoying when everything about the guy is perfect, is all.

Now, what's wrong with adding a little conflict into the character? Like, maybe he's obsessed with being the strongest, but it frequently drives the ones he loves away? Maybe he's feuding with another guy who says he's the best in the world, and the two of them sink to lower and lower means trying to one-up each another? Perhaps he really is a great guy, and he does like everyone, including his enemies, but this often means he's seen as a little dumb or short-sighted? Just a few random ideas...

I was actually thinking that in the end, he would lose the physical battle, but win psycologically causing that leader to change the way the world works. Roshambo is MAIN ANTAGONIST!!! I feel like I didn't convey that enough, which is why Saiya made the reply that they did. Well maybe I did and I'm misunderstanding. I want to mix in some romance but don't exactly know how. Suggestions would be welcome, but ONLY suggestions, not well fleshed out ideas. I like developing stuff myself, and I don't feel like as much as a vulture. I'm wondering if it should be between Sodo and Akemi, or Yamatori and Akemi. Maybe I'll hit up that luv triangle. Of course, they have such an age difference. She will either be Sodo's age or Yamatori's age, whichever I decide will romance it up. Don't know just yet.