Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give Yourself A Gold Star

Give Yourself A Gold Star

...If you help me, that is.

I'm probably not going to use this as a gallery - I'm probably just going to post here when I've got something that I'd appreciate critique, help and all that other cool stuff you guys do.

So topic number one:
    Hair.

It looks wrong, but I'm stuck. Help, please?

Ears are too defined. Even with lots of detail there should be no "lines". Nose is a tad too skinny. Pupils should be circles, not cat ovals and should be black. Hair does not normally loop and there is no reason to suggest it should like that. All in all though I am amazed at your high level of skill and hope to see more from you, bigger and better

[edit] oh quick tip, the hairline seems kind of off in some places. try and keep the hairline constant
    Last edited by Shota-Roe; 10-14-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Yeah, you're totally right about the loops. Now that you've mentioned it, I can't unsee how... Wrong they are. Thanks.
    The ear, too, looks like I left some of the 'rough' in - I'm pretty sure I was gonna go back and soften it up, but good catch, ta.
    I think I caught the problem with the hairline, though - I put the base colours in separate layers in GIMP with the 'multiply' setting, which means that when they over lap, it sort of shades darker, which gave a very definite and artificial line. The hair covering her forehead looks like a really bad N64 texture, completely 2D, too.
    Shit, also, I used the fuzzy select tool on the base for the hair, which is why it looks so artificially cut off, kind of. Rough.

On the eyes though - they were meant to be cat's eyes.

Thanks a lot, man. Is there anything else I've missed, can anyone see?

e: the eyeliner's pretty shitty, too. And the lashes. Blagh.

Quote Originally Posted by Saith View Post
    I'm probably not going to use this as a gallery - I'm probably just going to post here when I've got something that I'd appreciate critique, help and all that other cool stuff you guys do.
    That's what the critique corner is for, silly xD

This is my opinion, but drawing hair with individual strands generally isn't a good idea. Not sure if that's how you were working but it looks like it from where I'm standing. It's a lot easier, faster and more natural looking to draw the hair as a larger base with clumps and locks so you can get the shape right. Then go back and add details like highlights and shading staying true to the texture and shape of the hair and then go in and add individual strands where they would be visible and some fly-aways to make it look more realistic.
    Last edited by Total_Loser; 10-15-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Ahem
    I know.
    I- I totally read the rules.
    Totally. >_>;

And I have trouble with that way of drawing hair. I realise that it's better in the long-run, but I... I really cannot do it. Guh. There any good tutorials for that?

I found this tutorial that might help :3 http://leejun35.deviantart.com/art/H...rial-114093020

It's kinda what I was talking about and you still end up with a nice soft "strandy" effect.

Thank you so much.
    Much appreciated, and i shall try it out soonish.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    You should never try to draw out every strand of hair. It doesn't create the illusion of volume. (A full head of) hair is layered, so it shouldn't seem like there are inconsistencies between strands. This can be avoided by blocking out the hair first then placing the highlights to give it form. From there, define where most of the attention will be placed, usually in the bangs where hair is thinner and more spread out. Large bulks of hair should remain blocked in, for the most part.

I totally see what you mean, and I think that that would work best for me. Much appreciated.
    But just so I know, this is the sort of thing you meant, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Saith View Post
    On the eyes though - they were meant to be cat's eyes.
    if they're cat's eyes they should still have a black pupil...