Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Maxx Wellington's sketch book.. it ain't no diary so feel free to look

didn't get a post for a while, but I dunno where to ask this, so I will ask it here... in hopes for one....

What's the difference between colouring and inking?

Inking is usually doing the line-art for your picture, colouring is just colouring your art.

Thanks Cloudy-chan, I always thought it was another type of art..

Anyways, care to critique on my art?

Hey-o!
    I've been gone a while...eating food with relatives, and working on stuff for people since I can't buy gifts this year. But, I'm trying to catch up on critiquing where people haven't been, so here I am! (plus, you're always really good at critiquing people.)

Okay, first one:
    SPOILER! :
    Photobucket
    [/QUOTE]

There's not much that needs worked on here-the image is pretty tight Two things I noticed, though.
    1) Under his belly, I think that coat tail should curve away from the body, just a little bit.
    2)Either his right shoulder (our left) needs to be more defined, or his neck needs to be just a little thinner. It looks a bit too wide in my opinion. I could be wrong.

I like it though! Not much needs work :3

And this one:
    SPOILER! :
    Photobucket

I'm only going to point out a few things.

I think your left leg (our right) should be out a little bit, cause the body looks as though it's leaning forward a bit. Having that leg step out a bit will not only balance the image, but also give you a bit more presence.

Um...also, your belt could be a bit more rounded. I mean, instead of straight lines for the belt, curve them about to follow the shape of the body/waist. I think the right shoulder (our left) doesn't need to indent or dip inward...after the shoulder. Does that make sense? Sorry if it doesn't. If you want me to clarify, just let me know.

I like the detail you're putting into the suit, and if you fill in the hair a bit, I'm sure the mustache and goatee will look fine No caterpillars here. I can't wait to see it finished--it's starting out nice. Just need to fix some things here and there.

Keep it up :3
    Last edited by Blue_Dragon; 11-30-2011 at 12:39 AM.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

Thanks for all your critiques Blue Dragon,

For the first guy:
    I know the right shoulder needs to be defined more, however I wasn't (and still am unsure) how to do that.... and both coat tails should be curved away?

For the self portrait:
    I wasn't supposed to be leaning, just streatching a bit. in other words, my body wasn't supposed to be swaying right or left, but rather my right shoulder is supposed to be forward a bit... And I didn't go into great details with any fabric as I got obsessed with my right hand (which I ended up failing every time), and cause I try not to go into details until I am done the basic.

I will post up a picture of me actually dressed as I am in my self portrait in a couple of days (got caught up with work)

By the way, anyone know how to stop my scanner from having that gradient of light all the time?

Maybe it needs a new bulb? o_O

I got nothing. That (thankfully) hasn't happened to me (yet.)

Also, I think it's good you'll be posting the picture That'll help us with crits.
    Website!: www.ceruleandreams.org
    Updated 4/6/13: Please Critique

ok as promised:

SPOILER! :
    Photobucket

Well i don't know if your were trying the do a replico of the pic you showed up there, or if you just used it as a reference but if you did then.......

I didn't do the face since you were going for the mangish style so not a lot of your facial features would matter. But as for the body:

1)You have a wider torso
    2)Your shoulder was higher and the arm is too bent inwards and not twowards(i misspelled that one right?) us.
    3) Your face was turned more to us.

So there waiting for more of your stuff.

Oh btw WHERE ARE MY BROWNIE POINTS!!!???
    Last edited by Gedeon; 12-03-2011 at 07:43 PM.
    Problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunZet View Post
    Mmm, yes, considering he's Serbian, he might.... overwork the ladies. Don't need that.

When trying to draw from another photo, what I tend to do is focus on a small part each time instead of the full picture. Like I try to focus on the lines, the spacing between different parts, etc. Because I find that when I just think about the whole picture, it messes up the proportions.

Also, remember to use body guidelines. Maybe draw some guidelines on the actual photo, and try to copy those guidelines you made on paper. This why your pose and mannerism in the photo will match your drawing better.

You could always grid it