Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How does one come up with unique clothing and character designs?

101 Dalmations Member GAbRieLWrIgHt's Avatar

How does one come up with unique clothing and character designs?

I was kinda wondering how people came up with unique character designs, because I feel like all of my people look similar to a character from somebody else's show or manga, and I figured a lot of other people ran into this problem to so...yea.

THATS what you have to figure it out ...... use your creativity thats how we get new things ...unless you experiment yourself you will never know.....
    the people who came up with these designs too have applied there own creativity.....
    SO ITS ONLY YOU YOUR OWN BRAIN YOUR OWN CREATIVITY

I think this question is already answered in the fashion style thread.

http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/...styles../page3

Rio said, Just start with some simple shirt and simple stuffs and design it to something different with belts and ribbons, zippers and pockets.

or you could browse in magazine to gain idea...

By being creative. If i could draw the manga of the anime i can see behind my eyelids I'd be a rich man by now. But really, read manga and slowly your mind will make something (or is that just me 0.o).

Or buy this fabulous magic reference book that will guarantee 100% success in anything you attempt to draw!

SPOILER! :
    NOT!

SPOILER! :
    But I did buy it anyways.

I decided it was a nice reference after flipping through it.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    With over a billion people in this planet, there's no way that your characters will 100% be unique. It will always look similar to someone else's work. For example, there are some people who classify any and all characters with big eyes as anime style even though one may be more Westernized in my eyes than the other.

Anyways, as I said (that ramiel quoted) - start with a basic look that you want, whether it's a uniform, fancy clothing, casual, or fantasy. From there, add elements that you want to add from ribs, buckles, bracelets, designs (ex/ Chinese patterns), and anything that goes with the style you are going for.

In another point of view, you can start with a silhouette. In high fashion (and in video games of old), for example, to create an impact on the viewer (and to make it stand out from one character to the next), each clothing set (or character design) will have it's own set of colors and shapes. Example:

FYI - some other tips:
    -use texture if you don't want to add a lot of accessories
    -color is also a good way to make distinct clothing pieces
    -now-a-days, people also like to add a bit of bling and glam to their clothes (or for women, anyways) by adding shiny belts,shoes or something that shines generally in their outfit.

Just be aware that it's normal to make several roughs first before you get the design that you like. Save your designs because you never know when you'll look back on it and it'll be just what you need.

101 Dalmations Member GAbRieLWrIgHt's Avatar
    thanx, yall are really helpful...I already done did try these techniques.

101 Dalmations Member
    . .i agree with miss Rio . u should practice putting plain clothes on ur characters then add details^^. its helps and its fun^^

keep in mind that detail does not always equal good. like rio said you need the fundamentals of clothing down (and when i say down i mean completely mastered) before you attempt putting anything too grandiose on your characters, because if you don't know what you're doing and you end up putting too much detail in it looks stupid