Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: The Crucible (F)

Oriel listened quietly and patiently, her expression serene and understanding. She only nodded briefly to the praise for killing the demon, just as an acknowledgement.

"This is praiseworthy, my lady. You did the right thing coming to me." Was her soft-footed response, when it came time to speak. Oriel took up Ambre's hands and warmed them with her own. "You have a good soul, and the Saint will not forget such a deed."

"But... We need to tell Lady Guidonis, you do understand? If we do not resist fear, then only greater evil will come of it. If we do not resist pain, then only greater agony will result."

"I apologize, but I must make that clear. The truth that is the Saint, he is my one true loyalty."

"But I can share the burden. That I will do willingly."

"What is it that you know? What did you see, my lady?..."

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    "O-okay..." Ambre sniffled. "O-one of my servant girls. She sai-said that some of the commoners have been talking. That-that some horrible monsters had been seen outside the old abandoned sewer entrance!" She finally blurted it out, shaking. "I-I don't think the word has reached my m-mother yet. And I th-thought it could just be some superstitious peasant nonsense b-but with what just happened and all... I don't know... maybe it's related?" She shuddered and looked away. "I'm sorry... I know I should have told Inquisitor Guidonis, but she scares me... Am... am I bad?"

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Oriel just shrugged, and then made a sweet smile.

"No. I'm certain your soul is pure. It was brave of you to tell me." She placed a handkerchief into Ambre's hands reassuringly. "There is a difference between being steadfast in the face of evil, and simply being paranoid. Some things are just children's stories. You couldn't have known that such a thing would appear last night. And if you were guilty of anything, you would not have told me."

Standing up slowly but still holding onto the young woman's hands, Oriel ushered her to her feet and made a movement towards the curtains of scripture blocking the view of the cellar corridors beyond.

"Come. I will not force you to inform Lady Guidonis personally... but if you only have bravery enough to stand before her, that will prove your innocence."

"No one is born with a pure heart. It is purified by your deeds. Please trust in me, my lady."

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Ambre thanked Oriel but repeated, ad nauseum, how terrified she was of Lady Guidonis. It became clear even to someone a bit lacking in critical thinking like Oriel that they were gonig in circles and that Ambre was far too terrified to do the talking.

She did, however, tag along, and spent her whole time before Laure shaking and meekly squeaking out one-word yes or no answers to the Witch Hunter. Laure seemed to believe her - she only slapped her once and didn't tear off her fingernails or anything.

The next dawn the group, including the new woman, were gathered in the barracks with Laure to receive their assignment from the terrifying woman.

"There are rumors of 'monsters' lurking within a nearby disused sewer network." Laure started, giving Oriel a Look that said 'if you stare at my cleavage I'll put your eyes out.' while wearing an outfit with a neckline that made it a very dfificult test indeed. The Saint challenges us so that we may rise to new heights, of course. The wheat must be seperated from the chaff.

"It may just be peasant rumormongering, or oozes and vermin exaggerated by their ignorance and word of mouth. It is, however, my only lead at the moment." Laure's tone of voice made her annoyance clear - it's almost like torturing every single person you come into contact with until you hear what you want isn't the best way to investigate something. "Prepare yourselves and ready whatever you must; we leave in two hours." Unlike Helena, Laure made it clear she had neither the time nor the patience to entertain any questions or comments.

You all have 1200GP to spend as you see fit on mundane items - although no alchemical stuff, but Holy Water is fine - and on Cure Wounds potions. If you are unclear if something is allowed, ask me and I will clarify.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Oriel did her best to enlighten Ambre's spirits for most of the following night, and assure her that she was doing the right thing, but it seemed like the only thing that would ever really quell her fear was seeing Inquistor Laure leave. By the Saint, it was quite likely she had come to resent Oriel's presence, too, even, but there were some things that just had to be accepted. Oriel was not about to let sympathy get in the way of her duty, even if that did, ironically, make her seem insincere. But it was her best interests that she had at heart. The light of their souls.

/////

Oriel bought fourty holy water flasks from the local church, and twenty fused oil flasks in accompaniment. As always, she brought no healing potions at all, being as it was that they circumvented the Saint's will... But she did also use the church's power to obtain a little banquet of wine, fine gammon, breads, and glazed parsnips for the entire crew.

Virtuous work should be seen to be rewarded, even if Laure was likely to scoff at the luxury.