Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Crucible (F)

Lost members. Those words almost caused Rosaline to start crying right there. She still believed herself to be the single reason why Alberto was now a (probably not smoldering anymore) goo pile. However she managed to hold back her tears. With a throat tight from repressing her sorrow, Rosaline whispered "Excuse me", then bowed quickly and left the room.

Lucille stood at ease, her freckled face blank of expression. She didn't bother with looking contrite or ashamed; her emotion on the matter was worth a damn. They had failed, that was that, and only He in His eternal wisdom could judge if they were worth forgiveness. She would simply have to not be so worthless next time.

Although she did long to curl her lip in distaste at Ramirez's arrogant grovelling. Despite his claims, they were all flawed and he alone had not carried the battle, for better or worse. No one man ever did. Even Helena commanded armies to do the things she did not have time for.

She couldn't help but raise her head at the news they would be returning to Lareaux, but rather than so much as twitch a smile Lucille simply snapped her heels together, gave a salute, and left.

Ramirez bowed, made the rote goodbyes, and left the room. He didn't head straight back to the barracks, but instead waited to accost Vivien when the young priest emerged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.

101 Dalmations Member Alexander_Hamilton's Avatar
    Vivien's chest ached with guilt, but he managed to control his emotions. He wanted to give a sincere, heartfelt apology, but Helena was not the kind of woman to desire them. He would try to do better next time. It was all he could do.

He bowed meekly and left the room, rubbing at the corners of his eyes.

Ramirez intercepted Vivien as he left.

"Excuse me, would you mind terribly if I talked to you in private?"

Vivien ran a hand through his hair in a vain attempt to un-rumple it. "Oh, uh, no. I mean, I don't mind."

As they walked through the corridors, Ramirez found it was impossible to find anywhere private whatsoever. Everywhere, even places where you didn't expect there to be people, there were bloody monks. On the rare occasions where a quiet area appeared, the ambience was immediately ruined by some patrol or another coming through. That wasn't something you noticed when living here, but it became obvious as soon as you started looking for a place to talk. Ramirez wished for the secluded drawing-rooms of his youth, and the gentrific surroundings of those days. They had been more common among the Horned Society than among the boring Cuthbertines, at least.

Vivien and Ramirez had been engaged in light conversation as they navigated the corridors, but as it became obvious that a private place was going to be impossible to locate, Ramirez steered the talk towards more serious matters:
    "Yesterday's mission... Lady Helena was correct to be angry at us. It must be unfortunate for her to lose her men in that way."
    Last edited by Delphinus; 07-31-2011 at 07:59 PM.

Biting his lip, Vivien directed his gaze to the floor. "Yes. My efforts were...completely inadequate."

Ramirez gave Vivien a brief pat on the back and held it there 'supportively'. "All of our efforts were inadequate. I could have prevented their deaths if I'd taken less time in attacking; had you not been focused on your other comrades, you could have healed them. We all make mistakes."
    He removed his hand.

"But I'm sorry, we both need to be prepared for the journey to Lareaux, so I should instigate the cessation of my verbosity and leave."

Vivien blinked at Ramirez for a second, trying to figure out what he had actually said. Then he nodded. "Thank you...And, um, I'll see you."