View Poll Results: Privacy option, do you want it or not?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want to hide from everyone else, so Yeah, long live to privacy

3 25.00%
  • Fuck this, I want to stalk people!!!

9 75.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Privacy Profiles

Wait what? We have passwords for galleries?

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    It's not Galleries, it's personal Albums.

I'm kind of on the fence on this one. I mean, on the one hand ithis IS an art site so why wouldn't a memebr want to show off his works to everyone here? But, on the other hand, what if the member(s) who use the privacy setting are also using MT as a place for them to show their art to certain people...like a working portfoilio? Or they have a lot of personal stuff like OCs which haven't been copywritten yet (I dunno). Or maybe they just want hier friends to see thier work. These reasons would justify personal Albums being private.

Doesn't too much sense though. Why would somebody come to a site called Manga Tutorials, look at other people's stuff, but not want to show off thier stuff? Like I said...I'm on the fence...

Does kinda suck when you're looking through the public gallery, see some cool work you want to comment on only to find out it's password protected...
    Last edited by Black_Shaggie; 10-06-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    Personally, I find no problem with not being able to see people's artwork. If they want to share it, fine. If they want to keep it private, fine. There are other reasons for privacy such as swapping images with a fellow team member or just to get feedback from certain people. If I was working on a swimsuit image for say the next SaiMoe and wanted an opinion from Mikuru (and Mikuru only) if it's too racy or not, then this would be where the password comes in handy. Or how about if you're working on a surprise drawing for someone and wanted input from other members except that one person you're making it for - that password will come in handy.
    I can see a problem. It's that MT is a art Community (or I guess it is), which mean you need to share to form part of the community and if you don't, you are using MT as a tool. What if we start having a lot of people who only upload private albums for them as a image host site? MT will have more users, yes, but MT also is not going to be a expanding community and more a next Imageshack.us.

What would be from DA if people could make their work private? If you need passwords to navigate through DA.

You could send users the image by PM if you need a direct opinion from a specific someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    With that said, I don't really care if there is privacy here or not but for now, it is an option for those who want it.
    Well, then I guess the discussion is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shaggie View Post
    I'm kind of on the fence on this one. I mean, on the one hand ithis IS an art site so why wouldn't a memebr want to show off his works to everyone here? But, on the other hand, what if the member(s) who use the privacy setting are also using MT as a place for them to show their art to certain people...like a working portfoilio? Or they have a lot of personal stuff like OCs which haven't been copywritten yet (I dunno). Or maybe they just want hier friends to see thier work. These reasons would justify personal Albums being private.
    Why would you upload images to a art community if you don't want to share with the community? If you want to show to certain people you send the images or send links (DA?), if you work in your portfolio you still have DA and other image host sites. There is no reason that justify a private album in a art COMMUNITY, because it goes against the primal concept of a community.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Shaggie View Post
    Doesn't too much sense though. Why would somebody come to a site called Manga Tutorials, look at other people's stuff, but not want to show off thier stuff? Like I said...I'm on the fence...
    Stalkers. If you join to a community you have to share with the community, because if you don't you will not be integrated in it. If you have people using MT as a image host and not being part of the community then MT will be used as a tool and not a community site.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    This tacks onto things said in the old sketchbook section thread. Currently we have over 8 thousand uploads in the gallery. In fact, I would say the bulk of the community is gallery/profile-exclusive. It's taking a lot of focus away from the forums as it behaves similar to a social network.

I see what yo're saying Clock & Cype. This is an aty community & there really isn't any point for anyone to post thier art & then hide from the entire community. I upload everything I do [here] here &,the stuff I can't show, don't want to share I keep at home. Simple. If I wanted topub something I'd give a link to another site...but I think that's bad behaviior on a personal site myself.

Okay, yous guys have persuaded me to jumo the fence. The privacy option is crap. We all should show the art we choose to here & keep stuff you don't wish to share at home.

I want to use the site as basically a Dropbox, except for Jaittaceti's concept art. I pay money to be a premium member on the site, might as well be able to take advantage of space on here without worrying about ideas being stolen, but it's not like we're good enough yet anyways, but so what anyways.
    Last edited by Sylux; 10-07-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I feel like paying for a premium membership when you just mentioned a free alternative that is a hundred times safer is kind of counter-intuitive. Why did you decide to go for a paid membership when you know about Dropbox? Esp. since dropbox is also private so it addresses both of your concerns.

Well I got a Premium membership because I wanted to support the site. The blogs and groups and extra inbox space are just a bonus.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    MT isn't Image shack. If you hotlink any of the images on any other site other than MT, nothing will show.

Like I said, the option is there for people if they wish to use that feature or not. Each of those members must have a reason for using password protection. With that said, I do agree with you about the community aspect. Here's a compromise: I will take away password protection for Regular members but it will stay for those who have Premium membership. You will have to respect any Premium member's decision to password protect their work.