Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: What Game(s) Are You Playing?

If it were only the outcome that mattered then an open-ended game would be any game with multiple endings right. Why not a game that changes how the story is told to you based on your decisions.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Again: why can't we have both?

Alright well why wouldn't the first dragon age qualify

Edit: Wait I forgot about kotor 2 as well

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I haven't played Dragon Age so I can't say anything about that game specifically. If you think it satisfies, then I will try it. I'm just saying, of the games I have played, and I have played the 'staple RPGs' of this gen. I have played the original KOTOR but not the sequel. But for the record, the original KOTOR does not satisfy. Two-branch skill tree =/= open-endedness.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    All I know about Dragon Age is something something something Grey Wardens.

I would submit that the real answer to your question (why can't we have both) is because its difficult. I thought about this at work today and the fact is its hard enough to write an original story, much less also leave it open enough for the players to effect it. I'm still under the opinion that if you want a story based game, that writing is much more important than the plot. For instance Lost Odyssey, after the first act devolves into generic jrpg schlock, but the short stories and the well written intro made it stand out a lot.

Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout, Force Unleashed, KOTOR, and Deus Ex are all examples of what to do (some only fwiu). Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, .hack original games, PSU, and Army Men are all examples of what not to do (again fwiu). Open-ended games should be the future. I think Assassin's Creed 3 is even going to feature decisions, as Revelations is to be the last one with Ezio, Altaïr and Desmond from what Wikipedia says.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I've yet to experience any AC game :/
    Also, just bought Resident Evil 5 PC...heard good things about it, figured I'd give it a go lol.

Found this little slice of gold on Kotaku.
    Last edited by GunZet; 10-30-2011 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    I would submit that the real answer to your question (why can't we have both) is because its difficult. I thought about this at work today and the fact is its hard enough to write an original story, much less also leave it open enough for the players to effect it. I'm still under the opinion that if you want a story based game, that writing is much more important than the plot. For instance Lost Odyssey, after the first act devolves into generic jrpg schlock, but the short stories and the well written intro made it stand out a lot.
    I suppose Bioware's games are the first steps here. That said, I've never been compelled enough to play one all the way through since Neverwinter Nights.

It was said on Extra Credits that, for most games, writers are brought in fairly late into the game's development. So no matter how good a game's writer is, he's gotta write around what the developers already have developed. So in addition to the difficulty of open-ended choice being tied into a great story, there's that.

About games with open ends and strong stories, there's always Infamous and Infamous 2. There are only two paths (so that eliminates the open-endedness), and the evil path is just illogical in the first one. It gets slightly more justifiable in the second, but it's still the good path that tells the strongest story. Yeah, it's still pretty linear, but it's a step in the right direction.

I'm thinking it'd be much easier to have open-ended choice and great story in a small-scale 2D game.

Writers are the last people videogame companies call, even more, no game is going to be build under a story (it will always be under a game mechanic), this is why (in my opinion) video games are still pretty far away in story telling than movies or books (you can say you have the same level of satisfaction, but the whole story was of minor importance for the developers and as a game is based on reactions-goals-rewards you are very limited in what you can bring to the story).

With video games being open-ended or just one lineal story, that is a situation where the writers are forced to work constantly, and I think one has advantages the other doesn't. A lineal story let you work the characters, their psychology, archetypes and enneatypes in the story, it gave circularity to the events and it can be nice to play, but this eliminate from picture the ability of the player to play as he want, because he is subject of a story. In the other case we have open ended games, these eliminate the psychology and function of the characters but let the player to chose how he want to play and what kind of end he want.

For my both can live together, and I hope so, because I don't want to be playing only games with open ended with no characters (as I chose how Shepard will react I change who is Shepard and even more, it can create incongruence on who he is, and changing events in the story also affect the importance of the characters; if I'm a asshole Shepard maybe the character that should betray me, shouldn't be the same as if I were a good Shepard), but I neither want to be playing lineal games with no space for my own goals.

Maybe there are some options: one would be creating the story in some way that the player feel the need to act as the hero should act, letting the player chose, but he will always be pulled in how the character would do it. A second way would be through second game play, the first one would be the story, but the second would be the classic "what if", bringing re-playability to the game and giving to people the chance to make their own ending.

I dunno, I think both can live together.