Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: What Game(s) Are You Playing?

That is nuts to me. Like if you're familiar with David Foster Wallace he was always upset about the linear nature of writing, and how inflexible it is. Now we have a medium that can approach writing a different way, but still you just want to be dragged along a story for 20 hours.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Yes, because when I see a movie, I want to be dragged along by a story for 2 hours and enjoy it. When I buy I book, I want to be dragged along by a story for however long it takes it finish it, and still be intrigued. Games are an entertainment medium. Their content is supposed to be both substantive and appealing. As I said in that other thread: open-endedness is a niche. What every game needs is a captivating CORE. A game SHOULD be able to drag you along for 20 hours with one, linear plot and maintain your interest. That is the impact of a good story.

I fail to see how an open ended and well written game isn't substantive and appealing. Also you seem to underestimate gaming as a medium that can tell stories in completely different ways than what you are accustomed to.

Of course not. I'm just making statements based on what I've seen. I've seen two distinct categories of games: open-ended games with flimsy, 10-hour plots and linear games with massive, captivating 50-hour plots. I just don't see why the two are so mutually exclusive. Where is the game that does both of these things?

basically I should be able to be satisfied JUST following the core plot. I should have the option NOT to embark on hours of incoherent sidequests and still feel like I got the most out of my purchase.
    Last edited by CypressDahlia; 10-29-2011 at 04:37 PM.

For the record I've never played a linear rpg that captivated me the whole way through. A lot of those hours are bullshit, but that's for another discussion.

The game that does both is torment, btw. Its on gog for like ten bucks.

As for your last point, I disagree. I mean obviously we can't measure how satisfying a plot is by any metric. Also I'm going through jrpgs on psn and a lot of the main stories consist of retarded sidequests because you have to have some way to break up the monotony of the plot. I literally almost gave up playing breath of fire 4 because of the bullshit tag game with that idiot dog kid.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I've played some games more than 20 hours with little to no plot. And enjoyed them just as much as one with a giant plot and loooong story...maybe even more.

i agree on most of those points, but I'd still gamble on a linear game having a more captivating plot than one that relies on an oversaturation of choices to fill most of its playtime. Because at least you know that's where the focus was during development time.

and would you really say torment is "open-ended"? The only choice that really affects your ending occurs at the very end of the game, so really?

And gunzet: yeah, but you weren't looking for a plot, were you?

It absolutely is. There was no point in that game where I felt like I was being shoved around by the plot. Meaningful, open ended decisions dont always have to be big plot points or forks in the road.

Ruler of the Seventh Empire GunZet's Avatar
    Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
    I was when I played UT3, hoping it was good...but it was a gigantic fking letdown. All I'm saying is, it's not all about the story. Sure it amounts to something. But a game can have an excellent story, and execute everything else wrong. And at that point it might as well be a book rather than a game. All the elements have to work in harmony.

I think we're blurring the line between open-world and open-ended. An open-world game will always inherently be open-ended because you can physically go anywhere, but that does not make the plot open-ended. An open-ended plot actually makes your choices effective in the outcome of the story.

Sorry I'm mincing words a bit.