Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your most hated/loved anime and manga tropes

@Reg - I didn't agree with you at first, but then you brought up Rommel. Yes, Hitler was evil, and yes, the genocide committed was evil, but not every Nazi was a murderous psychopath. And now that I'm in that mindset, yes, gray vs. gray rather than black vs. white is often more interesting.

Hate: Every element that makes up To Aru Majutsu no Index. It is the very embodiment of annoying anime tropes. Its only redeeming points are the art style, a slightly different blood effect than most anime (it's textured), and the concept of a city of superpowered students that is much better expanded upon in the spinoff (Railgun). Here's a (very) condensed list of stuff that Index did wrong:
    1. An uninformed, almost ironic portrayal of foreign religion (Christianity). Saints in hooker garb. Wow.
    2. A boring hero. Kamijou Touma was more interesting in Railgun BECAUSE we knew nothing about him (I saw Railgun first). Now that he's explored "in-depth," we see that he's shallow, static, and boring.
    3. No overarching plot. Just a series of boring, predictable, insubstantial short stories.

Love: When the protagonist's parents are both alive and present. Even in family-oriented Disney movies, there were only two where both parents were alive and present. One was 101 Dalmatians and I can't remember the other.

yeah I hated the characters too, I like the idea of their powers but the story is not how I like it played out. kamijio touma has been an douche bag harem boy as the story progress.

tomoki from sora no otoshimono is still the best harem guy I seen, cause he takes his chances if he gets a chance lol!

Edit: Hate: Queens blade and everything of it's story. if not for the awesomeness art I won't watch it.
    Last edited by ram; 10-09-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Heh. Awesome art. Eheheh. Like the compelling plots of those visual novels?

*pokes ram*

On the topics of visual novels, I hate it when content is taken out for English release to make it more child-appropriate or culturally acceptable. That's why I stick to fan translations, and even then, they must have some sort of program that allows me to edit the translation team's horrible grammar and spelling.

Oh, and Tomoki: I'd like him a lot more if he stayed out of his chibi form. I'm put in the awkward situation where I want to take Sora no Otoshimono, but chibi Tomo makes it impossible. Other than that, I do prefer him over most "comedy" harem anime/manga protagonists.

Orrrrr learn japanese like the translators you hate did

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    I hate it when people talk too much during fights.

Hey listen I know we're having an epic battle right now but do you mind if I explain my entire back story to you

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    And I'll just stand there and listen courteously and make surprised expressions when you say something startling.

I was actually considering becoming a proofreader for a translation team at one point. And I don't hate translators. They're awesome. But it seems like too many of them just run all the lines through Google Translate and leave it at that.

Also, isn't a flashback the perfect time to land a good hit? I mean, like you guys said, they're just standing there changing stances and making intense facial expressions. While one guy's got his eyes closed remembering why his dead mom made him kill all the good guys, couldn't the hero just waddle over and own him? Or at least tie him up and take him to jail?

That reminds me: Why is every anime character with any sort of motivation motivated by dead moms? And why are they so surprised when someone finally says, "Your dead mom wouldn't want you to [insert stuff here]?"

Scratch that. I know why. Maybe I just need to read more seinen stuff.

On a related subject;

ORPHAN POWERS, ACTIVATE!

Seriously through, this is probably the most overused trope ever. People only even use it because having super young characters is 'cool' and parents would just get in the way of the plot.