Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your most hated/loved anime and manga tropes

I agree with clock on the villain thing.

As do I. I've been agreeing with Clock a lot recently. Watching Index yesterday, I realized that it's possible to take "believable villian" a bit too far, though. EVERY bad guy in Index has motivations and reasons for his or her (mostly her) actions, and after the first few, it gets sort of ham-handed and confusing. So they're trying to kill this little priestess girl from the Church of England because they have some connection to an old friend who once knew her and wants to start a war because -- yeah, screw it. Spoiler alert. The main character beats her anyway by saying obvious things and making her gasp to death.

Three more:

Hate: Villians that try to be believable but whose motives are a mess of confusion and deus-ex machina devices.
    Hate: Token immature ecchi situations in anime that they don't belong in.

Love: Anime that approaches human sexuality in a mature, non-gratuitious way (Clannad did this pretty well).

Love: when the hero is trying to save the world but ends up he's the one destroying it in the first place and the villain is the one who's really trying to save everyone.

Hate: when every other team member is useless and the only one useful is the hero.

Kind of a biggie, but...

Hate; Plots with a Good v.s. Evil mentality. Explain it as you will (An evil alien race, some kind of evil energy infecting people, e.t.c), these plots always end up ridiculously shallow with characters that have been done a billion times before. More to the point, characters so idealistic and silly that they barely act like people at all. Grey v.s. Grey is so much more unpredictable and engrossing- When both sides see themselves as the "home team" in particular.

Love: When the story of why the main characters are in the big mess in the first place was because of the wrongs that they done and paying for it.
    basically my perfect types of story build is FMA and gurren lagann, those are the types of story where I can't see anything I would put "hate" in it, I just so loved it from first to finish.

101 Dalmations Member Arashi500's Avatar
    Love: In depth explanations of how supernatural properties work
    Love: Believable and interesting combinations between technology and the supernatural. probably why Sci-Fantasy is my favourite genre(Star Wars is an example, just with a lot more focus on the Sci).
    Love: What most people consider "too much world-building". One of the reasons Tolkien is favourite of mine, because more often than not, I'm more interested in the setting and history than the main characters and plot.

Hate: When antagonists are much more interesting and developed than the protagonists.

Also, I'm not sure where I stand on the resurrection thing. I mean, what if a character is just capable of self-resurrecting so many times that killing them is just pointless or at least a very inconvenient method of dealing with them? I love these sort of characters when well handled, and hate them to death when they aren't.

I didn't hate the gameplay on naruto clash of ninja 2, but the fights were obviously staged. It was basically like, "Why must I fight these random people that are on my side" "Um... the other guy told them to kill you so you must fight." Yeah... sorta obviously staged fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Regantor View Post
    Kind of a biggie, but...

Hate; Plots with a Good v.s. Evil mentality. Explain it as you will (An evil alien race, some kind of evil energy infecting people, e.t.c), these plots always end up ridiculously shallow with characters that have been done a billion times before. More to the point, characters so idealistic and silly that they barely act like people at all. Grey v.s. Grey is so much more unpredictable and engrossing- When both sides see themselves as the "home team" in particular.
    So did you not like LOTR or what

Three Trio Tres Member Kenzieroo's Avatar
    Love: When the Character actual has to practic to be good at something (Realistic)
    Love: Unorthodox endings
    Love: Internal and external conflict both in one book

Hate: Love triangles
    Hate: Character who just happens to win without any tactical methods, he just happens to slash the enemy with brute force.
    Hate: Characters that know exactly what to do all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Sylux View Post
    So did you not like LOTR or what
    I don't exactly hate it... but Tolkien did start writing it in 1937. Superman started at pretty much the same time, and nobody minds taking the piss out of his early efforts.

My point overall point is, I think that kind of idealism is a little dated. Killing orcs because they are orcs kind of ruins the point of the good guys being 'good'. Killing people because they are 'poisoned' by some kind of evil energy or influence is even worse.

Take Erwin Rommel; A nazi general put in charge of the Africa campaign during world war II, who continuously dissobeyed Hitler's orders to mistreat prisoners, and was a brilliant strategist who was loved by his men.