Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your most hated/loved anime and manga tropes

Hybrid View

Your most hated/loved anime and manga tropes

It's this thread again. Basically talk about tropes in manga that you love or hate.

Love: When a badass character somehow ends up having to take care of a little kid.
    Love: Special moves of any kind

Hate: Headstrong stubborn male leads who have cold, calculating rivals.
    Hate: Character with raw talent who must be "refined" but in the early chapters is completely capable of beating people better than he is until the obligatory training arc.

Love: When a important character die and the story is not over yet.
    Love: Revenge stories.
    Love: Characters made to hate.
    Love: Characters who are not black or white (morally).
    Love: Coherency in action.

Hate: K-on (everything in it).
    Hate: Innocent characters.
    Hate: N00b characters who made a big leap in skills in few seconds.
    Hate: Characters who do constant resolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockHand View Post
    Love: When a important character die and the story is not over yet.
    Love: Characters who are not black or white (morally).
    Yeah, these two are pretty much a must for any series I watch... I don't expect 100% death and despair, but "the good guys always win" is probably the most overused cliche in existence, in all media.

Also;

Love; Female main characters who don't suit the normal type casts (Girls who are lanky, have a low booming voice, wear non-revealing outfits that actually make sense, don't swoon after the hero, e.t.c...)
    Love; Stories staring machines other than giant robots (Mecha are just supposed to be anthropomorphized vehicles, after all.)
    Love; Mad scientists. Often silly, but when they are done intelligently; Damn can they get awesome. Desty Nova was a badass.

Hate; Series which brag about being "realistic", and then fall on their asses in the first ten seconds. Flag and Code Geass, I'm looking at you.
    Hate; Spending a whole bunch of episodes saying that magic can only work a certain way, and then having the main character break that rule just because they are "special". >_>

Love: A main character that dies distracting an OP bad guy so that his friend can escape, prompting said friend to become stronger until finally they avenge him in the end. The right way.

Hate: Resurrections of any kind. The dragonballs are an exception since they are a one-time thing, but the multiple resurrections in shonen nowdays make me sick.
    Hate: A vision of parents triggered by the main character almost dying that transforms them into the ULTIMATE POWER SUPREME BADASS. And it usually goes like "I'm an orphan but my parents loved me all along! I CAN FEEL THEIR STRENGTH"

Love: Characters who make believable sacrifices for their friends/loved ones. (Keyword: believable)
    Love: Loli characters who don't get sexualized.
    Love: Clannad. The only romance I've ever enjoyed.
    Love: Zero-to-hero stories done without dead parents helping the hero out, special dormant powers from a special bloodline, etc.
    Love: Dynamic characters and static characters who have a legitimate reason for remaining static.

Hate: Flashbacks that last longer than three seconds.
    Hate: "We can never defeat this guy! Oh, we just did. We can't defeat this next guy! Well, imagine that! We did!" *repeat*
    Hate: Characters who are surprised whenever the main character says something obvious. "I'm your friend!" *GASP!!!!!11one*
    Hate: Characters who are sent through all sorts of trials and never change all the way through. (He Is My Master sucked like that.)
    Hate: How everything is so stupidly obvious and yet everyone's surprised when stuff happens. "YUGI WON A CARD GAME!? NO WAY!!"

Come to think of it, most recent anime contains all the stuff I hate. That second "hate" one, I can't think of too many anime where I haven't seen that. Near the end of Index, an anime I previously enjoyed, a certain character gasped and went wide-eyed on EVERY SINGLE LINE THE MAIN CHARACTER SAID. "You're not a monster, you're my friend!" *Gasp* "We don't hate you!" *Gasp* "I'll protect you!" *Gasp*

I've got a text file full of tropes I hate in anime and other movies in general. It's too long to post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Hate: Characters who are surprised whenever the main character says something obvious. "I'm your friend!" *GASP!!!!!11one*
    Yeah ham fisted sentimentality starts to get really old. It's always like this.

Character A: I'm your friend!
    Character B: *Gasps and then says main character's name dramatically*

And I know fiction shouldn't have to mirror reality but has there every been a situation where you've seen somebody react like that? An adachi style silent scene is the route to go imo.

Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    An adachi style silent scene is the route to go imo.
    Act, don't say. If a story can't be told through image, then you fail as comic narrator.

Also I life feeling in the story, but not quick shit. I like when a emotion is built and the characters show emotional impacts through the story, but the reader should be able to see those impacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Love: Same as clock, I love important characters who just died but it's not over yet. like kamina from gurren lagann.. at first I really thought he's the main character >_>.
    Love: Smart characters
    Love: Main protagonist so full of him self. (sakuragi hanamichi at slum dunk)
    Love: Character who mainly rely on tactics not power not just hidden power or some sort.
    Love: Moments where the sub character has lost all his/her hopes and the main character just happens to save the day on that moment.
    Love: Character who gets mocked by the enemy and then comes back for revenge and mocks the enemy back.

Hate: Main character treated as sub character and doesn't show that much (like bleach)
    Hate: Character who just happens to win without any tactical methods, he just happens to slash the enemy with brute force.
    Hate: Drama is good, but don't make it last for more than 4 or 5 episodes.
    Hate: Too slow progress of story
    Hate: Training for so long but ends up with not much change at all.

Hate; When absolutely everyone in the plot's world is obsessed with the series' resident magic, martial art, or technology, and nothing else has any effect on the plot at all. It's equally bad in martial arts series as it is in mecha series... "Hah! You think that pathetic toy will work against ME?!"...