Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: V́̕͠i̡sį̵̸t̡̡͢ǫ͝r (A)

Ulow continued to gaze right at Klarkash, in the way that one might look at a scab to insure it didn't become infected. Disheartened, disgruntled and a little sickened she was, certainly, but the Chitine had come such a long distance and seen so many awful things in the past few months. Jaded was the only expression that really came across.

"The Liber Ivonis... Whad would you trade for id?" She remarked solemnly, trying to ignore the looks that such a proposition would surely generate. The silhouette of Fillis hung in her mind, always. "These... monolith only few. Believe you wouldn', the things I see..."

101 Dalmations Member Alexander_Hamilton's Avatar
    Kill myself...?

"How do we know you won't just kill us if we do give it to you now?" Saiza said, trying to keep his tone practical instead of defiant; the goal was not to antagonize the crazy lich. This was their leverage. He might kill them to get what he wanted, but it at least seemed more likely that he'd kill them afterward. And...he...he didn't want...the monolith...of course he would have to give it up. But-

"Let's make a deal."

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    The Lich seemed almost amused, judging by the look on its horrible face. "Trade? Deal? Why shouldn't I just kill you and take the Illithid artifact and keep my book?"

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

"I'll be a bother" Mathias blurted. "We won't be worth your time if you tried to kill us. Who knows what damage we will cause fighting for our lives. I for one know it would be minimal, considering your magical prowess - but it's worst than none at all..."

"You want the Monolith, right? So you know something about the Illithids. But not everything. Perhaps we can lend you a hand in the matter, but we'd be absolutely useless in death and we'd take a few more of your collections with us before we go down" Trying to not sound too challenging, Mathias simply kept up a monotonous voice; "I'm truly just being logical here"

The Lich made a horrible hollow sound that may have been a laugh. "Hah. You are, or at least pretend to be, a student of the arcane. I am aware of what has happened to Brookhaven. There are precious few libraries left on the surface of this world that have half a collection as vast as my own, at least outside of the private control of Dragons, Eccentrics, or otherwise inhospitable entities. You would not destroy this knowledge."

The Lich waved a withered, mostly skeletal, hand dismissively, bits of leathery, ancient, skin flaking and falling off as he did so. "I have forgotten more about Illithids than you will ever know, boy."

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

"-But do you know those things, or did you just read them?" Ulow's emotions began to boil over. What most of them heard was just spiteful, slurred gibberish. The Chintine was relying on this Lich actually knowing undercommon so she could get her point across. "Ever seen an entire village stormed by the headclaspers in the flesh? Ever met the abominations that wander forth in their wake? Or do you really trust the lame, senile, forgetful old drivel writen down here by mere mortals more than your own eyes and ears? You think that if we can get in here, the headclaspers cannot? Your brain is isolated, never mind your damn castle!"

It wasn't a logical or coodinated plan running trough the small woman's head, but she figured he could hardly do worse than kill them. Perhaps, just perhaps, she could make them appear fearsome enough to be valuable. In turn, as always, Ulow had thoughts of sapping information about Fillis on her mind. "So there! You have loads of corpses, we can see that... But, do you get many offers from people to protect your interests outside these walls?"

101 Dalmations Member Alexander_Hamilton's Avatar
    Saiza had no idea what Ulow was saying,naturally, but it sounded pretty angry, though too long for just profane cursing. He wished she'd spoken in Common; it was impossible to coordinate some kind of group action without clear communication.

But what the hell kind of action could they take? They could try to get on Klarkash's good side, and hope he'd let them out. Or they could...well...really that was the only option. What were the odds that they could take him down or even successfully run away at this point?

He didn't want to be killed. Not by this thing, not by devils, not by nightmares. But every direction was looking pretty deathy now.

But...maybe there was something he was missing? He scrutinized the lich. Was he as confident as he looked? Or was there any anxiety for the object in his pack or the information inside their heads?
    SPOILER! :

Sense Motive
    1d20+4=18

The Lich didn't seem to react to Ulow's little rant at all. "The Chitine's shrieking are bothersome. Silence it and give me the Illithid artifact and I may let some of you live."

The Lich seemed pretty confident, as far as Saiza could tell. I suppose being an immortal and nigh-invincible wizard horrorterror builds confidence.

"Saiza. Give him the monolith" Mathias resigned. "Nothing we come up with is something he hasn't formulated a counter to already. He's a lich, and he's been around for far longer than most mortals. We've failed, and we'll be lucky if we are allowed leave...alive"

No hesitation, no doubts. Whatever trace of confidence he had in his companions and himself not utterly crushed beneath the lich's cold, true, logic.

The Lich gave a Look. "Place it on the ground. I am not a fool. I shall not be touching the artifact until I have studied it at length and from afar."