Thread: "what it means to draw more"

Hybrid View

"what it means to draw more"

drawing more does not just mean to go blindly draw

1. come up with an idea
    2. attempt to draw
    3. realize you can't draw something

step 4 is the complicated part.

beginner way: trial and error/draw something new/hide what you can't draw behind something

pro: look up references of the object/pose or related object/pose
    manga,animations,fashion models, google, etc.
    study/understand why the object/pose is that way

"this part takes time"

5. return to picture like a b.a and finish what you could not draw

rinse and repeat

I call it many names. The two that seem to be most accurate tho are "Hell" and "Work".
    Ok so I should only try drawing things I know that I will not be able to draw? Then learn to draw them? How does that make sense? Is this ment as a challenge or as advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    Ok so I should only try drawing things I know that I will not be able to draw? Then learn to draw them? How does that make sense? Is this ment as a challenge or as advice?
    advice i guess
    it is hard to realize what specifically you can't draw, so you need to find that first.

Figuring out the how of drawing some subject when it turns out you can't draw that specific thing, you mean? I can agree with that. It's surprising how many people don't think analytically like that.

Fenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
    Figuring out the how of drawing some subject when it turns out you can't draw that specific thing, you mean? I can agree with that. It's surprising how many people don't think analytically like that.
    As a hobbyist, I can say for me it's because that's what I do in most other areas of life. Always analyzing, pressuring myself to do better, confronting challenges. It's rewarding, sure, but also exhausting. Which is why, as art for me is more a means of relaxation and recreation, diving head on into an analytical art process is last on my priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by apples13 View Post
    beginner way: trial and error/draw something new/hide what you can't draw behind something

pro: look up references of the object/pose or related object/pose
    manga,animations,fashion models, google, etc.
    study/understand why the object/pose is that way

I agree in the analytics aspect, I disagree in your classification. I don't think a pro will use references while a beginner is going to figure out what is wrong. I think both methodologies are complementaries.