Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe in Ghost?

It stops being classified a monster because we now know it is real and a monster is what we call something that is not real, It gets reclassified, nobody is pretending there was never a myth.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Argh. Monster does not always denote something imaginary (obviously). In the dictionary one out of five definitions associates the word with something imaginary. What I'm saying is that a superstitious person who believes in giant squids and refers to them as "sea monsters" is no less valid than a scientific person who refers to them as giant squids. It's a different name for the same thing. Yet you get cooky looks if you mention "sea monsters". This is because people don't want to accept things with superstitious implications, even if it's proven true. They always put a different spin on it.

Aside from the name what is "The different spin"?
    And Sea monsters are more than just the Kraken, if you came up to me saying sea monsters exist I would give you funny looks because I am assuming you mean things like The leviathan or a hydra or something.

a "different spin" meaning one that disassociates the actual creature with its superstitious origins.

You mean not saying it came from the bowels of hell?

Most krakens aren't from the bowels of hell--//the// Kraken is, but not most. The word is used to describe abnormally large tentacled creatures in general. But that's beside the point. What I mean is that taking the same creature and giving it a different name doesn't discredit its superstitious origins. So just because it "exists" to the world at large now doesn't mean it's no longer a "sea monster". It definitely is, it's just a famous and published sea monster.

It doesn't change it's origins, but it does change it's name and classification. It was a sea monster and is now a very big cephalopod.
    If I had a sex change I would stop being a man and become a woman. Calling me a man would be incorrect but saying I was originally a man may be be correct.
    While we doubted it's existence and heard stories about them dragging ships undersea and being monstrous hellspawn it was a sea monster. Now we aren't as ignorant to it's existence it has been reclassified and given a less cool name because "SEA MONSTER" sounds childish or something.

Well actually it would still be correct to call you a man since you still have the male set of chromosomes. But I get what you're saying. I agree.

I agree totally that 'sea monsters' and 'giant squid' are different terms to describe the same thing. Hell, some people in Indonesia describe the Komodo dragon as a monster. You're also right that people in the 1800's who described giant squids and no one believed them turned out to be right, in a sense. However, they also said that these sea monsters could bring down their ships with one tenticule. This is not true, ofcourse. Its the old 'Once I caught a fish this big' thing. The 'monster' in question does exist, but they have exaggerated the tale to turn it into supernatural fantasy. This happenes all the time. Great White sharks exist, but not the ones the size of the shark in the movie Jaws. Big ass lizards exist, Godzilla doesn't and so on.

Anyway, I dunno what this has to do with ghosts, so I'm gonna try and drag this thread back to the orginal topic.

I'm surprised that a person as logical as yourself Cyp believes in ghosts. Anyway, its good that you do, cause I find this an interesting discussion to have. Could you just sum up for me why you believe in ghosts, what experiences you have had that lead you to think this way, and why you feel the explaination of ghosts is the correct conclusion?

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MiKuRu View Post
    Well I think ghost are p much real or "Spirits" is a better word for them. The word "GHOST" was just to scare little kids so they would go to bed early at night.
    Because "spirit" sounds so much more mature, sane, and less mythological than "ghost?" Really?

Anyway I did encounter some weird unexplained stuff when I was younger back at my old house.
    As I have said countless times in Psalm; you can't say something is unexplained and then immediately proceed to simultaneously explain it and use it as evidence.

And, no, I'm not going to address your anecdote because if the most compelling evidence you can offer up for something is the supposed testimony of a child regarding a door slamming. Yeah.

And regarding how absurd the belief in ghosts is, it's just so funny. Because believing in souls was not irrational enough?

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!