Thread: Mangatutorials IRC

Threaded View

One Thousand Member Ozzaharwood's Avatar

Mangatutorials IRC

After a long time of thinking if I should do it or not, I did it. I created an IRC for MT.

For those of you who don't know what an IRC is, it stands for an "Internet Relay Chat"; basically an advanced chat room system that's been around for a very long time. In order to get into IRCs you need an IRC client. The most common are mIRC for Windows and Chatzilla for Firefox. If you are using Mac or Linux, you'll have to look for one that you like. If you've never used IRC before and want to join, I suggest reading up about the basics first. I didn't and when I first joined I had a little trouble. The purpose of this IRC is to provide a chatroom for MT members who don't want to draw. I don't like it that the GB is being used as a chatroom and people don't draw at all. (I'm guilty of this, lol) IRCs are used on almost all forum sites nowadays, and even a lot of funsub groups have 'em. Trust me, you'll find that it's worth your time.

There is a lot I still need to do, but so far I've got a safe bot to keep the channel open, provided sufficient security to keep out spammers/attackers, and kept op privileges only to ops. It should be all we need since it's our IRC will be fairly small and out-of-the-way.

After a few people join, I will make it so only registered users may join. You will have to register at your start-up page. This will make it so we can kick and temp-ban people who are abusing the chat. I will also assign ops, or chat moderators after we get a few people who regularly chat. If you don't understand a lot that I'm saying or you want to read up on instructions, check below.

This is a simple guide I wrote up for the basics of IRC:

SPOILER! :
    Connecting to MangaTutorials

This guide was made with Chatzilla in mind.

MT uses the IRC server:

irc.rizon.net

The chatroom is:

#MangaTutorials (not case sensitive)

To join the IRC with Chatzilla, type "irc://irc.rizon.net/#mangatutorials" in the address bar after you've DLed it.

How to connect to #mangatutorials

1: Start your IRC client
    2: Enter the Nickname you want into the bottom left button, beside the input bar.<
    3: Now, to join the server. Type (or copy/paste) into the input bar:

/server irc.rizon.net

If your nickname hasn't been used yet (by you or another person) it will tell you the nickname needs to be registered.

To do this type (or copy/paste) into the input bar:

/msg nickserv register your_password your_email

Where "your_password" is the password you want, and "your_email" is your e-mail address.

An activation code will be sent to your email address (used for registration). Read the email, type the command into IRC and your nickname will be registered (one nickname/group of nicknames per email address).
    Registration is not usually required to join a channel, but some channels explicitly require one. (We will be doing this in the future, so best to sign up now)
    The battle is done at this point! To connect to a channel, so you can talk to people, type (or copy/paste) into the input bar:

/join #mangatutorials

How to reconnect to #mangatutorials

1: Start your IRC client
    2: Your Nickname should still be in your client, so leave that part alone.
    3: To join the server again, type (or copy/paste)into the input bar:

/server irc.rizon.net

Instead of asking you to register this time though, it will ask for your password. To do that, just type (or copy/paste) into the input bar:

/msg NickServ IDENTIFY password

Just replace "password" with the password you gave when registering.

Now, you can reconnect to the chat room by typing (or copy/paste) into the input bar:

/join #mangatutorials

How to auto-connect, auto-join and auto-identify

To auto-connect a server, select the tab of the server you wish to auto-connect to in the future (you must have a window open assigned to that server in the first place!). Right click within the window, and select 'Open this network on startup'.

To auto-join a channel, select the tab of the channel you wish to auto-join in the future. Right click within the window and select 'Open this channel on startup'.

To auto-identify, go to the toolbar at the top, click Chatzilla -> Preferences -> Select the server in the panel on the left (in this case irc.rizon.net) -> click the 'Lists' tab -> Press 'Add...' in the Auto-perform section -> Fill in the following (remember to replace "password" with whatever your password is!):

/msg nickserv identify "password"

Connecting to different channels

To connect to another channel when first starting up, just replace #mangatutorials with the channel you want (like #anime-planet.com). If your already connected, type (or copy/paste) into the input bar:

/join #channelname

Where "#channelname" is the channel-which-you-want-to-connect-to's name.

Now that that is all over, you are ready to join the IRC. I'm fairly new to creating channels so if it ever crashes, don't worry. I will have it back up and running ASAP. There are also tonnes of guides on Google to check if you don't understand anything. This may seem overwhelming at first, but it's a nice thing to have, and there is no harm in it. I will be waiting to see who comes in first, and I'll be taking notes on who I should make a mod. If this fails and no one comes in, I'll either scrap it or just keep it running for if there is a time someone wants it back up.

Super tl;dr thread, but w/e. If I missed anything or if you have any questions don't be afraid to post.
    Last edited by Ozzaharwood; 09-18-2011 at 08:48 PM.