Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poobeh's Manga Reviews and Recommendations (One Outs review on page 2)

Poobeh's Manga Reviews and Recommendations (One Outs review on page 2)

I was originally going to post a thread about baseball manga but it occured to me that I have read a ton of comics and I might be able to introduce people to stuff they wouldn't have bothered to find on their own.

I will take requests so if you want me to read and review something, let me know. I will warn you now -- DO NOT EXPECT ME TO LIKE ANYTHING. If you want me to review something just so you can hear me agree with you it probably will not happen!

I have the right to stop reading a manga once it starts to become ass, but I will try my hardest to get as far along as possible.

Also I will supply recommendations to people looking for something new to read within a certain theme or genre. I do not read shoujo are harem stuff, though, and for the most part I hate cute things. So don't come here for that!

H2 by Adachi Mitsuru

I didn't know how to start this review without giving away that I pretty much loved this manga immensely but oh well here it is. H2 is brilliant. I had heard that all the best baseball manga were written by Adachi, but I really had no idea what to expect. Fortunately I was not disappointed in the least.

H2 follows the story of Kunimitsu Hiro, a pitcher who was legendary in middle school but quit playing baseball after being told by a doctor that his elbow would break. Because of this he ends up going to a school that doesn't even have a baseball team, while his former teammate Tachibana Hideo goes to a school renowned for their baseball prowess. Things take a turn once Hiro finds out that the doctor that diagnosed his elbow was an unlicensed quack, and is perfectly fine.

Hiro then builds up a team from scratch in order to go to Koshien and face his best friend at the game they both love.

So most baseball manga tend to be the same. They usually involve some sort of talented character who needs refinement or may not even understand how to play. In most baseball manga you could replace baseball with soccer, basketball, or what have you and the story would be the same. Not true in H2.

For one the central rivalry here seems like a simple battle for supremacy in the game of baseball, but things are complicated by a love triangle between Hiro's childhood friend Hikari, who happens to be Hideo's girlfriend.

Its also worth noting that both main characters are the best at what they do. Hiro is arguably the best pitcher in high school baseball, and Hideo is definitely the best clean up hitter. There are no long, boring training arcs or talks about believing in yourself. Both boys are artists when it comes to baseball. This is important because as I mentioned earlier, you couldn't simply remove baseball from the equation. Both guys are good at completely different things when it comes to the game, and have wildly different personalities when it comes to everything else which makes the pitcher/batter dynamic that much more meaningful.

As for the negatives, there are just a few. There are random panty shots all over the place. I mean ALL OVER in totally inappropriate places. I don't understand it in the least. I guess I could just say OH WELL ITS JAPAN but it just ripped me out of what should have been a solid experience. Also a few characters tend to look alike but it's not a huge deal since most of the important characters look pretty distinctive.

So I give H2 a thumbs up.

Sounds awesome dude, I will definitely check it out sometime.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Really. The random panty shots are a minus?

Man

Naw but it does sound cool how they made what would otherwise be a p. generic rivalry exclusively baseball in its characteristics.

Yeah he used baseball as a vehicle for the story as opposed to using it as an excuse to stretch out a training arc or melodramatic comeback moments.

I'm guessing most of the panty shots are of the childhood friend, prolly just to make the competition seem extremely worth it. Do it for dat ass. Even if you have to kill your best friend: do it, for dat ass.

The panty shots are of random women, but each chapter begins with some sort of swimsuit drawing of said friend and another important female character so I guess.

Your Friendly Ban Hammer-er Rio's Avatar
    Adachi without "ass" service is not Adachi. Speaking of which - I didn't know you read a lot of baseball manga's Jube. So, whatcha gonna review next? There's quite a number of them around.