Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Have You Ever Thought: Problems Can Take Over Your Life

Wat

Man that would just be annoying for us

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    That's why SA stopped doing it. It was murder on the forum software. But it was hilarious.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

If I was made a mod I could probably solve all these problems.

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    This is a problem that can be solved by lurking which is true on any forum. If anything, we are relatively tame compared to most places.
    This is an implicit law of forums, not something written on a sticky somewhere. Whereas the rules -- and I apologize for doing this -- explicitly state no trolling, flaming, spamming outside of the proper areas and no backseat modding. So why should a newbie violating an implicit rule excuse veteran members for violating explicit ones? It's not like he was expected to know/do that in the first place considering it's not actually a rule. Likewise, "don't make 'bad' threads" is another implicit rule, so why should that be punished with flagrant violations of explicit ones? It doesn't make sense to me. A lot of veteran members get away with actual rule-breaking (even me, from time to time), but then we rub it in the new guy's face for not grasping the more subtle nuances of forum usage. Surely there's no excuse for a person who's been here a month plus to be making bad threads (>=/ Fenn), but it was literally the guy's first post. We tend to drive new members away within their first 20 posts. That's hardly enough time to "get it".

What we can do is try to help people understand that our general discussion is actually full of discussions...
    No arguing that. You can disagree with the guy, sure, I have no problem with that. That's expected. But a lot of our repellant behavior is neither constructive nor contributes anything to discussion. We agreed on this, right?

If I was a moderator I would probably give Fenn a 3 day ban every time he made a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    This is an implicit law of forums, not something written on a sticky somewhere. Whereas the rules -- and I apologize for doing this -- explicitly state no trolling, flaming, spamming outside of the proper areas and no backseat modding. So why should a newbie violating an implicit rule excuse veteran members for violating explicit ones? It's not like he was expected to know/do that in the first place considering it's not actually a rule. Likewise, "don't make 'bad' threads" is another implicit rule, so why should that be punished with flagrant violations of explicit ones? It doesn't make sense to me. A lot of veteran members get away with actual rule-breaking (even me, from time to time), but then we rub it in the new guy's face for not grasping the more subtle nuances of forum usage. Surely there's no excuse for a person who's been here a month plus to be making bad threads (>=/ Fenn), but it was literally the guy's first post.
    On lurking - You're implying that the op is being punished some how. He's not? And aside from minor spamming, nobody was breaking any rules here.

On bad threads - You make them, you get a bad response -- and then you make more and get better at it. Lesson learned. Backseat modding is what I hate the most so if people get onto dudes for that sort of thing they should be reported because I'm not omnipotent like most people assume. Once again nobody was being punished.

We tend to drive new members away within their first 20 posts. That's hardly enough time to "get it".
    I'm not even sure if this is true

No arguing that. You can disagree with the guy, sure, I have no problem with that. That's expected. But a lot of our repellant behavior is neither constructive nor contributes anything to discussion. We agreed on this, right?
    Yes I wasn't talking about this thread specifically, just one of the main reasons people get "scared off" from this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdooperphailmachine View Post
    If I was a moderator I would probably give Fenn a 3 day ban every time he made a thread.
    You have my vote.

Bad Enough Dude to Rescue the President Kodos's Avatar
    If I was moderator I'd ban the people I disliked and rule the forums with an iron fist in a reign of terror not unlike the latter days of the French Revolution.

Do you like big boobs? Dragons? Ninja? Martial arts? Wizards? Then click here and make all your wildest dreams come true!!

Okay stop posting in this thread you guys are just being retarded