Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Have You Ever Thought: Problems Can Take Over Your Life

lol. sorry :/

that's what i mean about telling people nicely, great example psy, I'll go edit it now

Super Senior Member CypressDahlia's Avatar
    Exactly as ramiel said. In the end, it has everything to do with the fact that he's new. Not to say we should pamper new members but at least give them a shot at acclimating. It was literally his first post.

?? I don't think he made a mistake at all.

uh.. didn't you quote most of the stuffs that he said and disagreed with it.

It's not that he made a mistake but that we're instantly treating him like a regular, except our "regular" behavior can be a bit ostracizing so it's not a good thing. It's better for him to realize "oh, that's just how they are, I guess I better get used to it" over a few days than us shoving potentially repellant attitudes down his throat and telling him that's how we are, so he better get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by ramiel View Post
    uh.. didn't you quote most of the stuffs that he said and disagreed with it.
    A mistake would be like posting the thread in the wrong section. The whole point of this forum is to disagree with one another. That's what creates good discussions and keeps the GD from becoming an echo chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by CypressDahlia View Post
    It's not that he made a mistake but that we're instantly treating him like a regular, except our "regular" behavior can be a bit ostracizing so it's not a good thing. It's better for him to realize "oh, that's just how they are, I guess I better get used to it" over a few days than us shoving potentially repellant attitudes down his throat and telling him that's how we are, so he better get used to it.
    I'm not disagreeing that we have a problem with scaring off new members I just don't think that's the right way to go about things. The welcome wagon exists for this very reason. Without it, I would have never joined MT to begin with. After that its just us. And some of us are nice and some aren't, but even a day of lurking could show you what the water's like.

One Thousand Member Ozzaharwood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeh View Post
    Its a discussion. Ie the whole point of this forum.
    If you didn't notice, it only became one after I said something. Before that it was basically a "Let's make fun of the op by writing stupid comments" thread.

Like I said this is now a discussion and belongs here.
    Again, only because I said something. I also said we "should've moved it" not "We still can move it."

Not to mention relevance to a topic can be incredibly vague.
    Yeah, but I think we can all agree that that first page and a half of comments was not of relevance and were written either just because they had nothing better to say or because they were making fun of the op. (Excluding maybe two posts)

There's really no debate here. The first page of posts was undeniably snarky, unnecessary and alienating. As a member of this community, I vote we start keeping some more new members instead of driving pretty much half of them away. Though you may not like "pretending to be nice", common courtesy is nothing new to us. We're all like 20, right? We learned about CC in like what? Grade school? You don't have to be a sugarplum but don't shoot the guy down. I don't "pretend to be nice" to people I don't like on this forum, either. They know who they are and I hate their guts if they try to be chummy with me, too. But that doesn't mean I pursue my dislike of them to the point where I'm just openly a dick about it.
    This is basically what I was trying to say.

Also, aside from outcast's post nobody was shooting him down.
    Alienating and shooting down are two different things.

I'm not disagreeing that we have a problem with scaring off new members I just don't think that's the right way to go about things. The welcome wagon exists for this very reason. Without it, I would have never joined MT to begin with. After that its just us. And some of us are nice and some aren't, but even a day of lurking could show you what the water's like.
    That's the thing, though. In the welcome wagon everyone actually is nice. It's not an accurate representation of the rest of the forum. So if we all act super friendly there and then just suddenly alienate them here, that causes them to leave. I've noticed a couple of people do this on purpose as well.

Are you saying that this is the right way to go about things?

I agree. Welcome Wagon is deceptively chummy chummy. Common courtesy, in practice, is neither deceptive or repellant, so it's the best policy. You don't have to be friendly to someone but don't go out of your way to mock them. It's a nice midground. Whereas now we have WW where people go out of their way to be nice to you. And then we have GD/CB/etc. where people go out of their way to be un-nice to you as evidenced by the first page of the thread.

If you make a shit thread you are going to get mocked. I thought this was common knowledge?

This thread is weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenn
    You forgot your F in Modesty.